Michigan Business Name Search
Before searching the Michigan Business Name Database, you can save time by making sure your business name is unique and distinguishable from other existing business entities within the Michigan business name database. We suggest coming up a few name ideas, in case some are unavailable.
Generate Business Name Ideas
Search business name availability
Contacting the local Secretary of State (SOS) office via Phone or Email is free and is the most reliable way to check your business name availability.
Online, you can search for Michigan businesses entities for free via the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) website (click here to visit). Simply enter your business name into the “entity name” field to check whether the title is already taken.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can register your business name with the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA). Check out the online service section of the website to learn how to complete the process remotely.
– The LARA website simplifies the process of applying for a new license or renewing an existent one.
– You can also complete the registration process via mail.
– A fee will apply to your registration (10 dollars for corporations and limited partnerships, 25 dollars for limited liability companies). The same fees apply to a renewal filing.
To register your business name, you will need to complete a number of important steps:
– Fill out the required forms (they can be accessed and downloaded from the LARA website).
– Obtain the documents required to go through with the registration: FEIN, UIA number, permits and sales tax license).
– In Michigan, you have to register an assumed business name. This step applies to all entities that aren’t sole proprietorships. Even if you operate as a sole proprietor, you will need to register an assumed name if you’re not doing business under your legal name.
– Provide general information about the business – address of registration, mailing address, contact information, etc.
To maintain the status of your registered Michigan business, renewal is required on an annual basis.
Uniqueness is one of the prerequisites for the registration of a business name in Michigan. This is why you have to start with a search in the state database and make sure the title you’re interested in hasn’t been registered by someone else.
To pass the registration process, a business name has to be distinguishable from those already in use.
Thus, you cannot introduce a minor change (a plural form of a word, the addition of a number) to make your idea distinguishable. Even if the registration goes through, you may face legal issues in the future.
If the business name you want is already registered, you should definitely do a brainstorming session to come up with an alternative.
If you’re still unable to find a business name that suits you, try using our business name generator to get unique name ideas (click here to find our business name generator).
Registering your business Domain/website
Don’t make the mistake of forgetting to check if the domain name is available for your business. The last thing you want is to register your business name and find out another competitor or company already has a website with your name! Use our domain check below to instantly check availability.
Enter your business name to check domain availability
US Business Name Search
Select a State