There is no question that Maryland is one of the best locations in the United States for new businesses due to the proximity to the Capital and the helpful resources available. But, to enjoy all that Maryland has to offer new companies, you need to get started with finding and registering a Maryland business name.
This first step of getting your new business up and running is often the most challenging part, and to help you with this, we have put together a step by step companion for you to refer to when finding your Maryland business name.
Read on to find information on Maryland’s registration process, ways to find available business names and all the support information you need!
Generate Business Name Ideas
Prepare For Your Maryland Business Name Search
First, to get you off on the right foot in your Maryland business search, it would be helpful if you think about all the positives of your business. Take a note of these words, paying close attention to your unique selling point and what makes you stand out from other companies in your industry.
Once you have obtained strong keywords, you can use our Business Name Generator to find compelling and interesting name combinations for your business.
When you have found your favorite business name, the next step is to see if that name is available.
How To Search Available Names In Maryland
To search for available business names in Maryland, you must first go to Maryland’s Secretary of State. This is a website that you will visit many times throughout the name registration process, so get yourself familiar!
Next, take yourself to the business section of the Secretary of State’s site. Here, you need to select ‘Business Resources’.
You must then select ‘Business Entity Search’, where you can search for Maryland business names on the Secretary of State’s files. To receive the most accurate results possible, make sure that you include your full business name in the search.
How to Register Your Business Name In Maryland
Now that you have your available business name, it is time to make sure there is also a domain available in the same name. Matching your domain to your business name will help customers find your company without confusion. You can do this with our Business Name Generator Domain Check!
Once you have found a domain and business name that are both available and match, you can register your business name. Here is how to do this;
- Firstly, go to the business resources section of the Secretary of State for Maryland.
- Next, select the ‘Register’ option. This will take you to ‘Registrations and Filings‘. This section of the site includes information you will need to know on registering a business and name in Maryland, so take your time going through this.
- Lastly, to file documents online, you must create a Maryland Business Account. This can be found on the ‘Registrations and Filings’ page.
Maryland Business Name Registration Policies And Procedures
Now you know how to register your name, but it would be beneficial to know some background information on name registration in Maryland before you go ahead and do this.
Below, we will take you through the Maryland Policies and Procedures for business name registration;
- You must understand the structure of how you wish your business to operate. This is a crucial step for getting the best out of your business, but it is also a legal requirement for LLCs and Corporations to make this known in their business name. You can add terms such as ‘Limited Liability Company’ or an accepted abbreviation.
- Your business name must be distinguishable from other business names on file with the Secretary of State.
- Your name should not imply that your business is involved with any government agency, such as the FBI.
Maryland Business Registration Office
|Hours:||8:30am – 4:00pm, Monday – FridayClosed on weekends|
How To Use An Online Portal To Register Business Names In Maryland
You can use an online portal to register your Maryland business name by accessing the Secretary of State’s website.
Once you arrive at the Secretary of State site, click on the business resources section.
Here, you will be taken to the Maryland Business express online filing portal. You will need to make a Maryland Business Account to submit the necessary registration filings.
Online filing is how Maryland requests that everyone registers their businesses. However, you can download business forms on their website, which you will need to mail to the SDAT’s offices.
How Costly Is It To Register Business Name In Maryland
The Secretary of State recommends that you look over the fee schedule for filing services before registering any Maryland business names. Upon reviewing this, you will notice that these fees vary between different business structures.
The registration of a trade name application form states that the fee is $25 with an additional expedited $50 fee. However, filing fees for online forms are likely to be slightly different.
You can also reserve your business name for 30 days at the price of $25.
Why Should I Register A Business Name In Maryland
Maryland is a hub for successful businesses, with a fantastic location next to the US Capital. You may think this location won’t affect your business. Yet, many business owners in Maryland say having their company in a state with close ties to the government and federal agencies has greatly impacted their success.
Here are a few more benefits to consider when registering your Maryland business name;
- Maryland has an extensive catalog of business support and funding opportunities – you can browse these options with the incentives search tool.
- Tax credits are available to help new businesses lower costs and employ more staff. More Jobs for Marylanders is a recent addition to the pool of tax credit programs available to Maryland.
- High-quality learning is available with Maryland’s highest-ranked public school system, equating to a great network of educated and like-minded business entrepreneurs.
- There is a Networking system in place to socialize and become well known within the world of Maryland business.
Support When Registering A Business Name In Maryland
When registering your Maryland business name, there are many resources and services provided by the Maryland government to help and support you.
You can find these services on the Maryland Secretary of State website’s business section. There are help pages for crucial information on Taxes and insurance, whilst other services provide new businesses with business templates courtesy of SCORE and exceptional funding opportunities.
Now that we have covered all bases that you need to know when registering your Maryland business name, you should feel excited and confident about this new chapter. Remember to keep all the positive words you wrote about your business at the start of this process near you for when times get tough and remind yourself of why you are doing this!
If you would like to compare Maryland’s registration process to the other US States, we have articles covering registration laws and procedures in different locations on our website.