Florida Business Name Search
Before searching the Florida Business Name Database, you can save time by making sure your business name is unique and distinguishable from other existing business entities within the Florida business name database. We suggest coming up with a few name ideas in case some are unavailable. You can also download the full Florida entity name guidelines here (click here to download)
Generate Business Name Ideas
Search business name availability
Contacting the local Secretary of State (SOS) office via Phone or Email is free and is the most reliable way to check your business name availability.
Online, you can search for Florida businesses entities for free via the Florida Department of State wbeiste (click here to visit). All you have to do is enter the entity name and hit the search button. You can find additional details about doing a Florida business name search here.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can register your business name with the Florida Department of State Division of Corporations.
– You have to go through a business registration before choosing your company name. Luckily, the process can be completed online.
– In Florida, you can also opt for an additional procedure known as fictitious name registration.
– To do a fictitious name registration, you will once again have to search the database and make sure that you have selected a unique title.
To register your business name, you’ll need to prepare various documents and you’ll also have to pass through a number of processes:
– You will have to obtain your general business license
– If you are doing a fictitious name filing, you’ll need to fill out several forms.
– There are fees and taxes to pay for the incorporation of your business and the registration of your name. You’ll have to provide evidence of having paid those.
– A certificate of status (issuing costs five dollars)
– A certified copy of your articles of organization
The fees and charges will vary from one type of organization to another. You can find official information and guidelines here.
There are rules and restrictions when it comes to choosing a company name in Florida. Your name should be unique and distinguishable from the company names that have already been registered. Hence, you cannot choose a title that’s very similar to the name of another business.
If your name is very similar to the name of another entity (especially a company operating in the same field or a large multinational corporation), you risk running into trademark problems.
Depending on the circumstances, you may be capable of using a version of the name that’s somewhat modified. In such instances, however, it would be best to talk to a corporate attorney in advance. The consequences of getting in a little battle with another corporate entity can be devastating so be careful!
Registering your business Domain/website
Don’t make the mistake of forgetting to check if the domain name is available for your business. The last thing you want is to register your business name and find out another competitor or company already has a website with your name! Use our domain check below to instantly check availability.
Enter your business name to check domain availability
US Business Name Search
Select a State