According to Forbes, in 2021, Canada was the best country for businesses globally. Therefore, it is no surprise that entrepreneurs are keen to get started on their Canadian business journey. But, to get started on that journey, you must find an exciting business name.
To help you with this, we will take you step-by-step through the registration process in Canada and offer you preparation advice and how to use an online portal to register your business name. So, if you’re looking to start your Canada business name search, you are in the right place!
Generate Business Name Ideas
Prepare For Your Canada Business Name Search
The first step of your Canada business name search is to prepare keywords you’d like to include in your business name. Here are a few helpful techniques to make unique wordings;
- Use a thesaurus to guarantee you aren’t using overused and boring word variations.
- Familiarize yourself with techniques such as acronyms, rhyming, and alliteration.
- Make sure that your word choices are user-friendly. For example, using a word that is difficult to pronounce or spell may not be the best option.
- Use a business name generator to try out different keyword combinations. You can use our business name generator, where you will be provided with immediate and unique results.
How To Search Available Names In Canada
To search for available Canadian business names, you must use the Government of Canada’s website.
Open up the drop-down menu on the homepage to find business resources. Here, you can select ‘Naming A Corporation’, which will run you through how to do this.
First, though, to check available names, you must complete a ‘Nuans Corporate Name Search’.
To do this online, you will need to create an account. However, Canada’s government has now included their name search process with applying for registration, so you will be able to do this all simultaneously.
You can also complete a corporate name pre-approval if you would rather have your business name approved before registering.
How to Register Your Business Name In Canada
When starting your new business and searching for a Canadian business name, it is recommended that you check if there is a free domain for the business name you wish to adopt.
You can find out if your desired domain is available by using our Instant Domain Check!
To register your business name, you must incorporate your business online, which you can do via Canada’s government website. The two options for registering your name are;
- Federal Incorporation – here you will register your name while creating a legal entity. You propose your business name during this process, which will either be accepted or denied.
- Pre-approval of a corporate name – by doing this step, you will ensure that your business name is available when you incorporate your business. You will have 90 days to incorporate following the Nuans name search.
Canada Business Name Registration Policies And Procedures
Before registering for anything, knowing the policies and procedures is always important. And, something as huge as starting and registering a new business, you need to get it right! So, we have put together a few policies for you to get familiar with;
- Your business name must be distinctive and not be easy to mistake with any other business name in Canada.
- Get to know the mandatory terms according to business types. For example, your name should reflect this if you are a business corporation. You can use words such as Limited or Corporation and their abbreviations. Of course, these terms are allowed in French too.
- A corporate business name can include a family name, as long as they have given consent to their name being used for the purpose of your business.
Canada Business Registration Office
|Phone:||(1) (800) 328-6189|
|Email:||An online mailing form is available here|
|Hours:||8:30am – 5pm, Monday – Friday|
How To Use An Online Portal To Register Business Names In Canada
To use an online portal to register your Canada business name, you can head directly to Canada’s government website and locate the business section where you can find ‘Name a business’.
Here, you will have to decide whether you would like to register your name by filing for federal incorporation or a pre-approval of a corporate name.
Filing for federal incorporation will take you to Canada’s online filing center, where you will be required to make an account. Depending on which is more practical for you, you can either use a GCKey or a sign-in partner.
Once you have an account, you will be able to file all business documents through the filing portal in the future.
How Costly Is It To Register A Business Name In Canada
The cost of filing for federal incorporation is $200. This seems like a large sum, but incorporation covers more than just your Canada business name.
It is free to receive a pre-approval of your corporate name, which will give you peace of mind before spending $200 on registering your business in its entirety.
Why Should I Register A Business Name In Canada
Coming in at the top of the Forbes best country for a business list, there is obviously a lot of reason to do business here. But why will registering your business name in Canada benefit you?
- You will now have the right to use your business name across Canada, making business transactions more accessible.
- You will have lower corporate tax rates due to becoming a corporation. Personal income tax rates are higher than those for corporations.
- Accessing capital and grants will be made much easier for registered businesses, and you will be able to borrow money at lower rates.
Support When Registering A Business Name In Canada
When registering your Canadian business name, you will have direct access to resources that will help you to manage your finances and offer funding.
You can also seek support from the Canada Small Business Financing Program, which can help you purchase equipment and improve the building you use for business.
Now that we have covered how to register your Canada business name and shared some valuable tips on creating a unique business name, you are ready to register it officially!
If you would like to browse our selection of business name search articles concerning other locations, such as the US States and Australia, you can find these on our website.