When you have a brilliant business idea ready to flourish, it can be disheartening when finding the right name for the business isn’t coming to mind. However, some tips and tricks can be extremely useful when at this stage in your business journey.
The best way we could think to help entrepreneurs with their Kansas business name search was to put together a helpful guide. Our guide covers everything you need to know when registering your business name in Kansas (including those all-important policies) and offers some valuable tips on getting the ball rolling to find your perfect business name!
Generate Business Name Ideas
Prepare For Your Kansas Business Name Search
Doing some preparation exercises will be incredibly beneficial when getting ready for your Kansas business name search.
Firstly, let’s do some market research; are there any common themes between your competitors’ business names? Does the market leader in your industry use acronyms, rhyming words or language techniques? Pay attention to what works and what doesn’t.
Apply your findings to your business, using techniques that you found successful in your industry to make a list of words you’d like to incorporate in your business name.
You can take these words to our Business Name Generator, where you will be provided with instant, reliable results.
How To Search Available Names In Kansas
Now that you have found a Kansas business name that you wish to use, it is time to see if the name in question is available.
You will need to go to the Business Services section on Kansas’ Secretary of State’s website to find available business names. Then, scroll down to the Business Entities list, and click on ‘Check For Name Availability’.
The site will then take you to the Kansas Business Filing Center. Here, you are able to search for available names and read further guidelines on business name availability.
Remember, this is just a preliminary search, and results may change by the time of official name registration.
How to Register Your Business Name In Kansas
If the name you set your heart on is free, you are getting close to registration. First, you should check that there is a public domain available in the name of your business to ensure all your assets come under one name.
To do this for free, you can use our instant domain check via Domain Name Generator.
After your business domain has been checked, you can register your business name. You can do this through the Secretary of State. You will need to make a KanAccess account to register through their service.
You can also register your name by manually filing a business form.
Kansas Business Name Registration Policies And Procedures
As your Kansas business name registration is well underway, we advise you to consider the policies and procedures for registering a business name. To help you with this, we have listed a few guidelines below;
- When registering a Kansas business name, your name must be distinguishable from all other businesses operating within the state.
- Unless your business is a savings and loans company or a bank, your business name should reflect the structure of your company. You can make your structure apparent by using abbreviations or full terms of words such as limited, incorporated, corporation, etc.
- Many business entities in Kansas require a resident agent to be listed on official documents. When registering, make sure that you have someone situated in Kansas and involved in your business that can accept service of process for your company.
Kansas Business Registration Office
|Phone:||(785) 296 – 5059|
|Hours:||8am – 5pm, Monday – FridayClosed on weekends|
How To Use An Online Portal To Register Business Names In Kansas
To register your Kansas business name through the means of an online portal, you must go through the Kansas Secretary of State site. You may also be directed to The Kansas Business One Stop, which will help you with the registration process, ensuring that you have all the necessary information and tools required to register your business name.
To register or reserve a business name, you must use KanAccess. Here, you will be able to access all the relevant forms and information you need to file for registration.
Online registration is only available for LLCs, LPs and corporations. If your business doesn’t fall under any of these structures, you will have to file a paper form which can be found on Kansas’ Secretary of State’s business forms page.
How Costly Is It To Register Business Name In Kansas
Fees for registering business names in Kansas vary, depending on your business structure. The following list covers disclosed fees for each structure, but you should note that these fees may change if other services are involved within your registration process.
- Kansas Corporation Initial Registration: $90
- Kansas Non-Profit Initial Registration: $90
- Kansas LLC Initial Registration: $165
- Foreign LLC Initial Registration: $165
- Foreign Corporation Initial Registration: $90
- Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) Initial Registration: $165
- Limited Partnership (LP) Initial Registration: $165
You are also able to reserve a business name in Kansas for $35.
Why Should I Register A Business Name In Kansas
Registering your Kansas business name comes with a multitude of benefits for you and your business. To help you distinguish these, we have noted a few pros that you should be aware of;
- When officially registering your name in Kansas, you will be the only business able to operate under that name. This is an important step for making a name for yourself in your industry, as you don’t want anyone else to use your business identity.
- Legally, businesses that operate as LLCs, Corporations and LPs must register their business and name. If this is your business structure, make sure you register your name to avoid legal problems.
- Registering your business name elevates your business’s credibility, making you a trustworthy and valid company for consumers to depend on.
Support When Registering A Business Name In Kansas
Kansas’ Secretary of State lists useful links for all businesses to make use of, consisting of resources ranging from agencies to guidance. Notable services are;
- NetWork Kansas – A non-profit organization which provides useful resources for small businesses.
- Kansas Business One Stop – The Secretary of State’s certified service gives you all the information you need for running and starting up a business aligned with Kansas’ government.
Now that we have explored the ways in which you can register your Kansas business name, we hope you feel ready to get started on this exciting new chapter in your business venture.
We have further information available on our website regarding registering business names in the other US States that may be beneficial to your name registration process.