$3.95 /pm Website Hosting
FREE .COM DOMAIN
THE VERY BEST
Complete Guide to Naming Your Youtube Channel
Your Youtube name is the first thing people see. So, to gain subscribers and entice people to watch your videos your name has to have the right appeal. Like anything else you want to carefully consider your target markets, and think about what you want your channel to achieve.
10 Top Tips on How to come up with a Killer Youtube Channel Name
- Make it Unique: You want your name to stand out. A good name will grab the audience’s attention before they even watch a video. Coming up with a unique name will help you stand out from the crowds. However, there are a few things to remember.
- Keep it Short: Something long and complicated will slip from people’s minds like wind through trees. Keep it short, make it stick.
- Make it Easy to Spell: If no one can spell it, no one will find it online. Purposeful misspellings, or combining multiple words into one can lead to an unappealing sounding name that’s long and hard to spell. Keep it simple.
- Consider how it Translates: Youtube is a global platform, so people from all over the world will have access to your videos. Some words have different meanings in other languages, for example, ‘gift’ means ‘Poison’ in German. Make sure your name isn’t accidently offensive.
- Remember Capital Letters: If your name consists of more than one word, remember to capitalize the first letter of each. This is a simple trick that a surprising number of people don’t use. It massively improves the readability of your name. Use a capital letter at the beginning of every word. Take a look at these examples: CrunchCourse / crunchcourse, WonderWoman / wonderwoman, ManBaker / manbaker. Which ones do you think are easier to read and understand?
- No Numbers: Unless you have good reason, try and avoid using numbers. If the name you want is taken don’t just tag on a few numbers on to the end of the name. Numbers make your name look unprofessional. Only use numbers if it correlates to your brand. For example, 5MinuteMakeup makes sense, on the flip side MakeupGirl123 would look rubbish. If the name is taken, brainstorm some more, don’t settle.
- Inform: Your Youtube channel name should say something about what the channel is about. Try and include something that will inform people of the topic of your channel. This will help you gain viewers and subscribers. For example, BellesBeautyTips, you know exactly what you’re going to get from a channel names something like that.
- Evoke Emotion: The right words will trigger emotions that have a greater chance of drawing attention.
- Think about Word Play: Can you make an interesting pun? Get a thesaurus out and explore words with similar meanings and see what kind of literary devices you might be able to use. Puns, alliteration, and rhyme will all make your name more memorable and exciting.
- Leave Room for Growth: Finally, try not to be too specific with your Youtube name. A very specific name will limit the kind of video content you can create for your channel. You might want to expand and cover different topics at a later date. For example, you might have a hand crafting channel that started off making homemade candles, but you now want to expand into DIY in general. If you originally chose a name like CandleStickMan you would be limited to making candles forever.
Knowing who your target demographics are will help you immensely when it comes to naming your channel. A Youtube Channel giving make-up tutorials will appeal to younger women. They should be clear, constructive and helpful. The channel name should reflect what the videos are about. A lot of them are either built around already existing personal brands. The rest use either the term ‘beauty’ or terms synonymous with beauty.
For example, ‘DIY Beauty Channel’. This name tells the audience exactly what it is. For instructional videos this is important as people are looking for information and help. However, this name isn’t particularly creative or exciting. Exploring language around the theme of the channel, ‘allure’, ‘charm’, ‘bewitching’, could offer up fresh interesting ideas that will help you gain new followers.
Think About Website Domain and Social Media
If your goal is to make your Youtube channel successful one day it’s probably a good idea to choose a web domain that is free. Domains go fast, so if the one you want is available, you should purchase it as soon as possible.
Owning your own domain will make it easier to find you online, you can build your own blog promoting your content for example. A major reason for blog building is to increase your online presence. One disadvantage of videos is that they don’t have limited text, which makes them hard for search engines like Google to find online.
You can easily check if the domain name is available using our domain name checker widget on our name generator results page.
Next you want to consider the social media handles. Social media is an increasingly important method for marketing, and if you are trying to build a Youtube channel, promoting across multiple platforms and building your brand is a great way to do it.
Even if you don’t feel ready to manage all the social media accounts related to your channel, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter (and more) it’s a good idea to get hold of the social handles quickly. Make sure that your handles are consistent across all platforms. This will make it easier for people to find you.
If the names are already taken, then it may be worthwhile to reconsider the name of your YouTube channel. A solution to this problem can be adding a word before or after your channel name to get the name on social media. Be creative with your ideas if the name you want, is not available.
Youtube Channel Name Analysis
This name works excellent for their show. This is a show made by a 5 guys who make impressive comedy and sports tricks videos. The show is light-hearted and is all about getting those ‘perfect’ shots.
Vegeta, a character from Dragon Ball Z. Using his gamertag, this channel is unsurprisingly about gaming. He has built his subscribers up by taking a unique voice over techniques.
Yuya is a beauty blogger. She has built her channel up around her personal brand so used her name. Her name is also interesting which helps engage her audience.
A comedy slapstick channel. It’s an interesting sounding word, short, easily memorable and easy to spell. For a comedy channel this name works. It isn’t descriptive but the nonsensical nature is light-hearted and fun.
This name is pretty self explanatory. They unbox and review products. ‘Therapy’ is an interesting term to use for tech review products. It implies a soothing experience. This suggests the videos are laid back and less seriously informative.
They review tech that fits in your pocket; phones. PocketNow reviews basically every smartphone in existence to date. The name tells you everything that your need to know. Pocket refers to the kind of tech they review, and Now is a reference to the current nature of the technology.
Youtube Channel Name Ideas
- CrunchWorks: A DIY Channel, the use of the word crunch refers to the saying crunch time. It also implies a slightly destructive element to the DIY that would be appealing to a specific target audience.
- HomeGrown: This name is broad and unspecific. It could refer to anything that you do or make in or around your house. The obvious topic would be gardening. However, it could equally apply to cooking, or even DIY. It’s short and easy to remember. The benefit of having a broad channel name like this is it allows you to cover a broad range of topics so you won’t run out of interesting engaging content ideas.
- KrillinWinnin: This would make an interesting name for a gaming channel. Krillin is one of the characters from Dragon Ball Z. Those that understand the reference will know what your channel is about. On top of this, it claims victory, so implies he channel owner s good and might have good clips of gameplay to watch.
- OneMansVoice: Again a non-specific channel name. This channel would be the owners commentary on things. It would make a good gaming channel name or make an equally good comedy channel name.
- SnowballComedy: The use of Snowball refers to the metaphor of ideas snowballing. It implies the comedy works of building ideas and stories from seamingly simple non-descript things, with the Youtubers getting carried away. The nae is informative and catchy.
- ISpyHilarity: Another comedy based channel that would work off commentating on funny situations and video clips. The way the name is written also suggests you should rhyme the words ‘spy’ and ‘hilarity’ which makes the name memorable and fun.
- DefineBeauty: A beauty channel with instructional videos on how to do things like air and make-up. The word define has a double meaning, one, a literal meaning of physically creating the defining features of beauty in your make-up. An second, it acts as a question asking what beauty is, making the channel more accessible.
- EasyGlam: This name describes exactly what it is. Easy beauty tips and tricks. THe short easy name will help people find the channel and help it gain subscribers.
Final Youtube Channel Tips
When naming your Youtube channel you will want to avoid some of the common pitfalls that some Youtubers fall into. Firstly, keep it short, your name should be no more than three short words long, or two longer words. The more words there are the harder it is for people t find and remember.
You also want to avoid any form of vulgarity. Whether or not you think it’s a clever bit of wordplay, PenIsland isn’t funny and it will put people off your channel. Consider if your channel name will rub people the wrong way. If the answer is yes, then you are likely going to be limiting your viewership.
We’ve already mentioned a few other things that you should avoid, for example using symbols and numbers. These look amateur and make your channel harder to search and find. The one exception for this is if you’re using a gamertag that is already well known to your target audience, like Vegeta77.
A final note of warning is to try and avoid cliches. These feel and read as very unoriginal, that’s what a cliche is. Even if you’re trying to use it ironically, you would be better off avoiding the cliche pitfall entirely.