How to start a successful web design blog
Everyone wants to design their own website, and you can show them how. Here’s everything you’ll want to know when starting and growing your blog.
How to Start a Web Design Blog
1) Finding your Niche
Web design is something we take for granted, yet we know a bad website when we see one. How can someone who is into web design avoid the same mistakes? How does one who is interested in web design begin their career? If you are an expert on web design, making a blog can help.
With that said, you’ll want to find your niche before you start your blog. A niche is a specific topic, and a good niche will have less competition while still having an audience. If you go to Google Trends and look at a niche you’re interested in, you can see if people are searching for it, and how many are doing so.
A web design niche can be a blog dedicated to web design don’ts. It may be aimed at advanced web designers, or beginners. There may be blogs showcasing the history of effective web design. The list goes on, and we’ll elaborate further.
2) Think of a unique blog name and create your website
Now comes the fun part, creating your blog name. We suggest a name that’s short, sweet and is relevant to your audience. Some names for a web design blog could be: Web Woes, Designing for Dunces, or if you’re still stuck try using our blog name generator for some inspiration.
Once you have a blog name in mind, it’s time to get your website set up. Don’t worry, this is much easier than it sounds and can be easily done in less than an hour! Checkout our full guide on the best and easiest way to setup a WordPress blog here.
3) Get the essentials
A web design blog may require some software. You may want to have good web design software, a way to capture the footage on your computer, a quality mic to record tutorials, possibly a camera, and editing software for your videos as well. This isn’t too big of an investment, but it’s still enough for you to think about before you start your blog.
Also, consider starting social media pages. This can help promote your content and be a cool outlet for you t post more content.
What content do web design create?
There is quite a lot of content you can do with the topic of web design. Some designers will make blog posts about different aspects of web design. Others may post vlogs where they record a tutorial for designing a website. There may be podcasts about the subject of web design, ranging from web design horror stories to interviewing the top designers.
A web designer may showcase websites that have good or bad web design, or they may have a blog dedicated to old web pages from the 1990s for nostalgia.
Your blog may have a mix of everything, but you need to keep it focused on your niche.
Create engaging and relevant content
There are quite a few ways you can create engaging content. Many are interested in how to design a web page, and if you make tutorials and blog posts in an engaging fashion, you can be able to make something magical.
First, consider looking at other web design blogs. This can help you find your own voice. Everyone needs some inspiration, and you can visit popular web design blogs and see what they do right, what needs improvement, and their overall tone of voice.
The content should be relevant as well. Stick to your niche, and stay up to date on what makes good web design. The Internet is always changing, and what works a few years ago may not work now.
How to grow your traffic
Even if your content is good, you won’t be able to do much of it if you don’t have an audience. Here are some ways you can grow your web design blog traffic.
- An SEO optimized blog. If you’re going to write a blog about web design, you have to know a little bit about SEO. Use the right keywords, design your website to appeal to a mass audience, and keep it updated. A professional can help you if you think you don’t have the time.
- Collaborating with other bloggers. Guest posting for a blog can give you exposure. Talk to bloggers who have a similar audience size and make a collaboration. You can’t grow unless you interact with the competition as well. That’s just how it works.
- Advertise. Spend a little money and make some targeted ads for people who may be searching for your niche.
- Create social media pages and have content fitting for the platform. Instagram can show pictures of you designing your page. Facebook can be a good place to poll people about web design. Keep it updated regularly and interact with other social media accounts. You may want a social media manager for this.
How to make money with your Web Design Blog
There are many ways you can make money being a web designer. Here’s how you can do so.
- Offer your services. If you are an expert on web design and have a portfolio to back you up, use your blog to sell your services. Design blogs for other people for a good price.
- Guest post. Not only will a good blog promote you for guest posting, but they’ll pay for it as well.
- Posting videos on websites such as YouTube allows for monetization of the videos if they have enough viewers.
- Patreon is a great place if you have a growing audience. People can pay money each month for exclusive web design tricks, and possibly interact with you if you can offer advice to them personally.
- If you have enough influence, people will invite you to web design themed events and conventions. They may pay for you to do so, or at least cover travel.
- Putting ads on your website is always a good way to make money. Just make sure the ads aren’t so obnoxious they turn people off.
Top #3 Web Design Bloggers
This niche involves the creative aspect of web design. A web designer’s site is a bit like their house, in that you can be creative with its design and possibly inspire others to do so. However, striking a balance between creativity and user friendliness is always a challenge.
CreativeBloq provides tutorials and blog posts about creativity in web design. Aspiring web designers and veterans alike may be able to find some value in this website. It’s easy to navigate and fun to read. If you’re feeling creative, check out this site.
One way someone can learn how not to make a website is to look at a site that compiles a big list of what not to do when designing a website. Started in the 1990s by Vincent Flanders, this site compiles the worst web design choices out there along with some biting commentary.
With fan submissions, a list of the worst web pages, and design tips, this site is popular. People love watching someone harshly criticize. Not only is brutal honesty sometimes funny, but it’s a learning experience.
Here’s another website blog that’s good for people of all skill levels. Founded in 2008, Web Designer’s Depot contains various topics pertaining to web design, and someone who is interested in the topic should find something they’re looking for.
They also have a page dedicated to web designer humor. For experienced designers and newcomers alike, it’s always fun to laugh at the ridiculousness of web design that can occur.