How to start a successful entrepreneur blog
Like entrepreneurship itself, having a successful blog is filled with risks and challenges.Here’s everything you’ll want to know when starting and growing your blog.
How to Start an Entrepreneur Blog
1) Finding your Niche
The business world requires risk, and when you start an entrepreneur blog, you’re starting your own risk. The blog may fail to get an audience, and even if a blog doesn’t cost anything, or much, to run, you’ll still feel like you lost everything.
One way you can minimize risk is to find your niche. A niche is a specific topic that has a smaller audience, but because of the lack of competition, you have a higher chance of success. Think of it as trying to appeal to a small town that has fewer people, but more open ears, rather than losing your voice in a big city.
Think about a topic of entrepreneurship that interests you. Some examples include entrepreneurship involving specific businesses. You can have a blog dedicated to entrepreneurship on a budget. There can be blogs hosting stories of successful, and unsuccessful, entrepreneurs. There’s quite a bit you can do with it. Go to Google Trends and see what if your niche has a consistent audience. If the niche is too big or too small, expand or shrink your topic.
2) Think of a unique blog name and create your website
Now comes the fun part, creating your blog name. We suggest a name that’s short, sweet and is relevant to your audience. Some names for a keyword blog could be: Easy Entrepreneur, Risky Business, or if you’re still stuck try using our blog name generator for some inspiration.
Once you have a blog name in mind, it’s time to get your website set up. Don’t worry, this is much easier than it sounds and can be easily done in less than an hour! Checkout our full guide on the best and easiest way to setup a WordPress blog here.
3) Get the essentials
Like entrepreneurship, there is a bit of an investment you must make if you want to succeed. Luckily, it’s nowhere as near as bad as starting a business. If you’re going to have vlogs or podcasts, you’ll want to have good quality cameras and mics. You don’t need to buy anything expensive, but something better than a webcam and a built-in mic.
If you’re a traveling entrepreneur, you’ll need a laptop if you don’t have one already.
And you may need to purchase items related to your business.
What content do entrepreneur bloggers create?
Entrepreneur blogs create various content depending on their niche. A blogger who focuses on starting your business may create how-to guides and newbie friendly content that explains entrepreneurship in a much easier way to understand. Some may keep you updated in the world of business and tell you the current trends.
They may vlog as well. Some chronicle their travels. Others may show their adventures in starting their business.
Podcasting is popular as well. You can make podcasts about your business journey, or have guests on to give advice and tell their stories.
Create engaging and relevant content
A good post about entrepreneurship reaches your audience well. If you’re targeting newcomers to entrepreneurship, you want to sound friendly and not overload the audience with jargon. If you’re targeting advanced entrepreneurs, you don’t want to tell them stuff they already know.
Content should be relevant as well. Don’t talk about the trends of yesteryear. Don’t stray too off the path of your niche. Some digression is fine, but go too far and you’ll lose your audience.
The best entrepreneur is inspired by others. You should go to different blogs for inspiration and try to make their content into your own style. Find your own voice and stick with it.
How to grow your traffic
As mentioned before, you want to have a good niche and have engaging content if you want an audience. However, it takes more than just that. Here are some ways you can bring over an audience.
- Create some social media accounts for your blog and post engaging content there. Facebook is good for polling and audience participation. Instagram is good for photos and videos of your journeys. Twitter is good for short tips on how to work your business.
- Optimize your site for SEO. Use all the right keywords, improve your site’s loading times, and do whatever it takes to keep your site on the top of the search results. Consider hiring a professional if SEO isn’t your strong suit.
- Invest some money into advertising your blog. While you can succeed by word of mouth, advertising works as well.
- Engage with your audience and encourage participation. Your audience may abandon you if they feel like their comments aren’t getting responses.
- Guest post and collaborate with other blogs. Don’t fear your competition, but work with them so that both your audiences expand.
How to make money with your Entrepreneur Blog
Your blog can propel you to make money, possibly full-time. Having several revenue streams on your blog is a good idea, and here’s a few ideas.
- Advertisements. Using AdSense can put ads on your blogs that are relevant to your audience.
- YouTube ad revenue. If you vlog on YouTube, monetizing your video can give you some extra cash.
- Guest posting. Not only can guest posting help grow your website, but a good blog will pay you for your hard work.
- Sponsorships. You can be paid to promote a product or service. Just be transparent when you’re doing so.
- Patreon is a great tool to make money. Your audience can pay a little each month to support you, and you can offer them premium content, such as exclusive posts and videos.
- If you get influential enough, you can be able to make money by attending conventions and events as a guest, with all expenses paid.
Top #3 Entrepreneur Bloggers
#1 Youth Entrepreneurs
Often, entrepreneurship is targeted towards an older audience, leaving the youth out. In truth, the youth have a lot of potential to be great business people. Raised on technology, the blog part of this website can tell young people how they can get started on their careers, and read stories from people their age. This blog is good for the entrepreneur who is young, or young at heart.
#2 Small Business Trends
Small Business Trends has been around since 2003, started by Anita Campbell. It’s a blog dedicated to, well, small business trends. If you’re reading this, chances are you own a small business. You have to read about the latest trends and technology that can make your business bigger. Here is a way you can stay in the loop. This blog contains many informative articles that are worth checking out.
#3 Professor Michael Czinkota
Some people aren’t looking for advice, but opinions on the current business world. Professor Michael Czinkota is here to deliver in a no-nonsense fashion. Both entrepreneurs and observers alike should check out his blog for opinions on the current world.
Don’t forget to try our Blog Name Generator!