How to start a successful home decor blog
Here’s everything you’ll need to know in creating and monetising a Home Decor blog.
How to Start a Home Decor Blog
1) Finding your Niche
Your home can be decorated in so many ways, and how you present your home decor blog can have so many niches. A niche is a specific topic that has an audience, but not too much competition compared to a general home decor blog.
When thinking of a niche, focus on a part of your home. Do you want to devote a blog to decorating your bathroom? Your kitchen? Also, think about a style you love, and this can help narrow down your blog even more. Do you want to talk about decor through a modern perspective? A mid-century modern style? Industrial?
Find a niche and search it on Google Trends. If it has an audience and not too many competition, you may have a niche you can try. If it’s on the decline or has too much, try narrowing the niche down or expanding it a bit.
2) Think of a unique blog name and create your website
Now comes the fun part, creating your blog name. We suggest a name that’s short, sweet and is relevant to your audience. Some names for a home decor could be: Room Renovation, Beautify Your Bathroom, or if you’re still stuck try using our blog name generator for some inspiration.
Once you have a blog name in mind, it’s time to get your website set up. Don’t worry, this is much easier than it sounds and can be easily done in less than an hour! Checkout our full guide on the best and easiest way to setup a WordPress blog here.
3) Get the essentials
A home decor blog can be an investment. If you want to write about home decor, you’ll want to decorate your own home, and this can cost you some money. In addition to the cost of home decor, you’ll also need to buy a good camera to take some striking pictures. Without the proper lighting and camera, your decor won’t shine.
You may want a good video camera and a mic if you want to create home tour videos or podcasts about home decorating. Or if you want to create how-to guides.
Finally, start some social media pages for your blog, such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
What content do home decor bloggers create?
Home decor bloggers tell you how you can decorate and renovate your home. They also talk about their own home decor projects and may talk about their family life in general. Blogs usually come from a housewife’s perspective, but any gender can be a home decor blog.
Home decor utilizes all media. Decor guides can have text, video, and audio to help instruct your audience. There may be podcasts involving the latest in home decor news and stories about your own home decor.
Create engaging and relevant content
You want your content to engage your audience. In order to find your voice and style, read some other blogs about home decor and take elements you like and present them in your own voice. If there are aspects of these blogs that need improvement, do it!
Keep a consistent voice and provide content in a consistent manner. Have an ideal schedule to help get you started. Also, keep it relevant. Keep most of your content focused on home decor. Sometimes, it’s okay to digress and talk about your personal life, but too much may turn off your audience.
How to grow your traffic
If you’re a home decor blog, there are many ways you can grow an audience. Here are some ways you can do so.
- Post content regularly on social media. Instagram is a great outlet for photos, Facebook is a good place for audience engagement, and Twitter is awesome for small home decorating tips.
- Guest post on other home decor blogs. Find blogs with a similar audience and offer to collaborate or to post on their blog. This will help both blogs grow their audience.
- Engage with the audience. Answer any questions your audience has about home decorating tips and tricks. Have calls to action. If you ignore your audience, they may leave.
- Pay a bit for ads. Target ads to potential audience members and they will give your site a try.
- SEO optimize your website. If you don’t, the site won’t appear on the top of the search results. A professional firm can help you if you’re unsure.
How to make money with your Home Decor Blog
You can make home decorating into a full-time or side gig, and here are a few ways you can do so.
- You can offer your decorating services to other people, particularly a local audience. Not everyone has the skills or time to decorate their home, and you can be paid to decorate someone else’s home.
- Google AdSense can help put some ads on your website. These ads can be tailored for your audience and increase your chances of making money from your websites.
- Guest posting on other home decor blogs. A reputable blog will not only give you exposure if you guest post on it, but they will pay you as well.
- YouTube can be a good way to make some money. Your home decor videos can be monetized for extra profit.
- Patreon can help you make some money. Your audience pays a little each month so support you, and you can provide them with rewards based on how much they pay. Exclusive tips, a chance to talk one-on-one with you, and various other rewards can give the audience an incentive.
- Sponsorships. A home decor company may give you a product to review or sponsor. Just make sure you’re clear that you’re advertising.
- If you get enough influence, you may be invited to conventions to be a guest or to attend. They will pay you and will even cover the travel expenses.
Top #3 Home Decor Bloggers
#1 Debbie Doo’s
This blog is dedicated to thrifty decorating on a budget, presented by a woman who is direct and talks in a warm, inviting tone. Readers can learn how to decorate with goods they have at home, or at a thrift store. This blog is filled with posts and photos, making the tips and tricks easy to follow.
Thrifty decorating is a good niche because people want to decorate on a dime. Whether they have a low budget or are trying to save money, these types of blogs have the potential to attract a big audience. Think about a budget blog with a different niche.
#2 Garage Decor and More
This blog is focused on primarily garage decorating. This is a good niche because the garage is often forgotten about when it comes to home decorating. The garage is just a place to store your car and other goods, right? Actually, it can be a place for you to be creative, and this blog can show you how.
If you have a garage, this blog is definitely worth checking out.
Founded by Melissa Michaels, this blog is dedicated to quick, inspiring home decorating tips, and more. The appeal of blogs like hers is that it’s ran by one person, and it makes housewives and home decorators feel like they’re talking to a friend who is trading them home decor tips and tricks.
Don’t forget to try our Blog Name Generator!