If personal care is your professional forte, you’ve probably played around with the question of how to start a beauty blog of your own before.
Beauty blogs are among the most in-demand niches and have the freedom to cover it all—from skincare and hair care to nail care and aesthetics.
As such, beauty blogs make a highly profitable hobby and, if you play your cards right, a full-time job.
Creating a beauty blog brings upon countless exciting collaboration options, exclusive events, and most of all, a potentially (very) satisfying income.
Though beauty blogging is a fruitful and charming niche, it is a crowded one as well.
To excel in it, you’ll need the mindset of a busy bee, creative writing skills, and a bit of beauty-niche and web design knowledge.
Stay tuned as we elaborate on all the steps you’ll need to take on your journey to start a beauty blog and become a successful beauty blogger.
How to Start a Beauty Blog: Taking the Right Direction
So, you’ve already set your broader goal and aim to learn how to start a beauty blog.
Next, you need to make your objectives more precise before you embark on the beauty blogging journey. It’s not presumptuous to note that your audience always prefers content focused on a specific area of the industry rather than overly general platforms.
Possible Areas of Focus
Think of a subcategory or niche of the beauty industry that particularly sparks your interest, or appeals to a specific target audience you want to address.
Perhaps you want to recommend budget-friendly cosmetic solutions to beauty enthusiasts with limited financial resources.
Or, maybe you aim to raise awareness on eco-friendly products.
These may sound too niched down, but you’d be surprised at the amount of search traffic these sorts of terms get!
If you’re short on ideas, here are some suggestions on how to narrow down the aim of your beauty blog:
- Product reviews: Becoming a beauty blogger can make you a helpful source of information on a certain product or brand. You may collaborate with certain brands and get exclusive samples of their skincare or hair care products—and then evaluate them for your audience.
- Products of the month: Another one of the most attractive makeup, haircare, skincare, or beauty blog post ideas is to write about your favorite products of the month.
- Products targeted at a specific audience: For example, you can help adolescents with problematic skin, recommend anti-aging products for mature skin, or point out hair care products that are safe to use during pregnancy.
- Tutorials: Demonstrate your makeup, nail art, or hair care skills to your audience through video content and in-depth written how-to’s on your blog.
- Promoting your YouTube channel: You may also connect your beauty blog
to a designated YouTube beauty channel and record all your product reviews, skincare, makeup, haircare, or nail art videos.
Whatever your focus ends up being, the most important step towards joining the best beauty bloggers at the top of the beauty industry market is simple—be yourself.
Your blog should be a unique, creative expression of your personality and passion for beauty-related topics.
Select Your Niche
After you’ve decided on the area of focus of your beauty blog, it is time to further narrow down your objective by choosing a niche.
As we already explained, the less general your beauty blog is, the better.
Selecting a precise niche will allow you to meet the needs of your audience and build a solid following base.
For example, women with a hectic lifestyle would prefer quick skincare tutorials rather than long and overly general videos on the topic.
It’s wisest to start your beauty blog with one or two niches and possibly add a few more later without going too general.
Brainstorm Niche Ideas
To help you make the right decision for your blog, we handpicked the most popular niches in the beauty industry.
- Skincare: Skincare is a thorough niche that gives you space to cover several subcategories. When it comes to skincare topics to write about, you can give advice on daily or weekly skincare routines for different skin types.
- Makeup: If you decide to start a makeup blog, your possibilities are endless.
You can post tutorials or review makeup products, highlight specific techniques (for example, cut crease), and focus on full-face makeup or just the eyes, eyebrows, or lips.
- Haircare: For every beauty enthusiast, hair is the difference between a good and a bad day. Help your audience increase the number of their good hair days and reduce hair damage by updating them on the latest quality products and trending hairstyles.
- Nail art: Nail artists can also shine on beauty blog platforms. French manicure, acrylic nails, gel nails, and more—whatever your expertise is, showcase your talent step-by-step in nail art tutorials and share it with your audience.
- Beauty for beginners/teenagers/mature audience: The age and level of knowledge of the audience you want to address are crucial for delivering relevant content.
- Budget-friendly beauty (and fashion): The majority of readers interested in beauty and fashion want to achieve top-notch makeup looks and outfits at reasonable prices—and the best beauty bloggers are here to prove that it is, indeed, possible. Guide your audience through the best budget-friendly brands and help them make the best out of their financial resources.
- Luxury beauty (and fashion): Those who shoot for the beauty and fashion industry stars can choose to cover high-end cosmetic and clothing brands. While your audience for this kind of blog will be smaller, you can profit more from readers with less limited budgets.
- Minimalist beauty: “Less is more” has become a widely accepted motto in all aspects of life and aesthetics lately, including beauty and fashion. So, paint your blog in nude and pastel colors, show your best “no makeup” makeup looks—and voila, you’ve got a working niche! Minimalist beauty is a great way to kick off a beauty blog.
- DIY recipes: One of the most unique skincare blog post ideas to include in your blog is advice on making natural skincare products at home. It takes a few vital ingredients—coconut oil, aloe vera, beeswax, and apple cider vinegar—to make healthy and affordable homemade skincare products. You’re here to share your secrets with your audience.
- Vegan/cruelty-free beauty: By focusing on confirmed vegan and cruelty-free brands that don’t test on animals, you will grow an ethical audience that cares about the environment as much as you do.
Give Your Beauty Blog a Unique Name
After you’ve determined the direction and niche of your beauty blog, it’s time to think of a proper name to represent your brand.
Coming up with a domain name can be a tricky ordeal for beginners in blogging.
Don’t fret—we’re here to help you create a domain name that will immediately draw your potential audience’s attention.
You can use our free name generator to help you get inspired!
What Makes a Good Blog Name?
A good domain name should be original, catchy, and memorable to your readers.
It should represent the core of your content and reflect your unique blogging style.
Take your time and brainstorm beauty keywords on your own or use our domain name generator to help you in the creative process.
Brainstorm possible combinations of words—keywords, that is—until you think of a unique one that hasn’t been taken by another blogger.
In its essence, the blog name formula includes your niche (skincare, makeup, nail art) alongside other striking words that will make your blog stand out, such as elegance, allure, sparkle, essentials.
You can also include your name. For example, some good forms of skincare blog names include Makeup by Mary or Skincare Sparkle.
Alas, you can always go for a coined phrase that both feature a relevant niche keyword and delivers that necessary pizzazz!
Remember, whilst you want to keep your name creative, you also want to aim for simple over complex.
Check If Your Domain Name is Available
The name you’ve come up with for your blog should be contained in your domain name.
For example, if you want to call your blog name “Skincare with Sarah”, your domain name should be “SkincareWithSarah.com.”
When you narrow down your list of potential blog names, make sure you check them for availability before you choose your preferred one.
We advise you to use Bluehost’s domain search bar.
Click the green “check availability button” and Bluehost will let you know whether your blog name is already taken or free to use.
Once you come up with an available word combination, don’t hesitate and purchase it as your domain name as soon as possible.
Well, many users snatch domains daily—some even purchase them with the sole intention of reselling, so it would be wise to claim your domain name idea before someone else does just so they can sell it back to you at a higher price.
Purchase a Domain Name
In order to buy your domain name and hosting, you should use a blog hosting service.
Think of this process as renting a business space—the only difference is that the domain name is your online business space.
Web host’s servers will keep your website files so that they’re permanently available on the Internet.
Bluehost is our recommended choice for beginners in blogging because it offers web hosting services with reliable conditions and reasonable prices, as low as $8.99 per month.
Choose the Best Beauty Blog Website Platform
Now that you’ve chosen an available name and purchased a domain it’s time to move onto the next step—web design.
But, do you know how to start a beauty blog without proper knowledge in web design?
Well, selecting a website platform and setting up the first steps of your blog might seem like a challenging task, but don’t worry—it is quite achievable, even for beginners!
Why You Shouldn’t Go with a Free Platform
There are several completely free website platforms that may attract you at first glance, such as Blogger, Squarespace, and Wix. However, these platforms have a lot of disadvantages that don’t make them a great choice for blogging.
- Lack of uniqueness and professionalism: Well-known free platforms such as Blogger will give your blog a very unprofessional and bland look. You want your beauty blog to stand out from the competition, and it’s almost impossible to achieve that with the basic features available.
- Minimal control: You don’t have enough control over your blog. For example, the hosts can freely use your blog space for their own ads and make it look even less professional.
- Limited customization possibilities: Across many free platforms, like Blogger, there’s little to no space for customization of your beauty blog, especially for beginners with limited technical and coding skills.
- Poor monetization options: You may think a free platform is an economic choice for starting a career as a professional beauty blogger, but in reality, your profit will be affected by their limited monetization opportunities.
- No ownership over your blog: In case you violate the platform’s terms and conditions, you can easily lose your domain along with all your beauty content in a heartbeat.
The Benefits of WordPress for Building Your Beauty Blog
The experts over at BlueHost warmly recommend WordPress as the website platform to consider when you are thinking about how to start a beauty blog.
Below are several of the qualities that make WordPress stand out among the other available options.
- Free, open-source concept: More and more bloggers love WordPress and consider it their number one platform choice because of the free software.
With WordPress, you only need to pay for your domain and web hosting.
- User-friendly: Even beginners at blogging find WordPress very easy to learn. Because of its ever-increasing popularity, there is a wide community you can share your WordPress experience with on social media and forums and get all of your questions answered by experts and other bloggers.
- Limitless customization options: WordPress allows you to customize your beauty blog according to your exact creative preferences.
- You are the owner of your website: Once you buy your domain on WordPress, you have full control and ownership over it.
Bear in mind that these features apply to the self-hosted WordPress.org rather than WordPress.com.
Pick and Install Your Beauty Blog Theme
Another factor to consider when choosing the best available platforms for beauty bloggers is—blog themes.
With WP, for example, you have a wide choice of themes you can use in making your beauty content stand out.
Choosing a proper theme that suits your beauty niche is among the first steps of handling your website.
A convenient theme will make your blog look professional and attractive to your audience while including all the essential design elements needed for readers to navigate through your content.
You may customize the layout, images, links, and more components in a way that compliments your brand.
Why Invest in a Premium Blog Theme?
Investing in a paid theme for your beauty blog pays off for several reasons. Unlike the free alternatives, premium themes provide bloggers with full customization options that allow them to get creative ideas across as desired.
Premium theme templates come with a clean code that makes navigation faster and easier for your readers.
These user-friendly themes are perfect for arranging images and media on your page with a classy, aesthetic touch of professionalism.
Paid themes are also ideal for beginners because, in case of technical problems, you can count on customer support.
If you decide to go with, say, a paid WordPress theme, trust that it will increase your possibilities for a high-ranking blog, and score you free WordPress updates for life.
Top 3 Beauty Blog WordPress Themes in 2022
Having in mind how important the role of a quality theme is in becoming a beauty blogger, we did thorough research on the most popular themes to help you decide.
Below are three of the best WordPress themes to use for beauty blogging in 2022.
Let’s go through their features and see why we picked them as our top themes to consider when you’re thinking about how to start a beauty blog.
Avada has increasing popularity among beauty content creators on WordPress thanks to its flexibility and plenty of customization options.
This theme is mainly targeted at beauty bloggers and serves to give them control over every option on their website.
For instance, you can have all the page categories of your beauty blog in the palm of your hand—product reviews, video tutorials, promotions, collaborations, and so on.
The customizable layout is the backbone of many benefits that the Avada theme can offer for your beauty blog. There are plenty of options you can use to achieve top-notch content quality, such as an effective demo installer for your pre-made content.
The dedicated support team behind Avada will also regularly provide you with upgrades in terms of the designs and settings.
By purchasing the Avada theme, you will get covered with constant value-packed updates and a plethora of layouts that you can modify according to your and your audience’s needs.
You can choose from a rich assortment of pre-made layouts, an outstanding website builder, and more than 500 quality fonts for your articles.
In addition to that, you get a sliding settings bar, a chart element with seven original designs, a syntax highlighter, and many more cute features.
The Glam Pro theme is bound to captivate the target audience for your beauty blog with its charming touch of feminine aesthetics.
Whether your focus is on skincare, makeup, or nail art—the spontaneous and slick design of this theme will highlight the quality of your content in a way that can attract thousands of page views.
The Glam Pro theme can give beauty blog readers exactly what they need—accessible content that is easy to navigate.
Needless to say, this theme is mobile-friendly, so it allows your audience to have a smooth user experience via their smartphones—which is incredibly important nowadays as a large portion of your traffic is destined to be mobile users.
Your readers will be able to reach every element of your beauty blog structure with just a few clicks.
With its custom page templates, hundreds of widget area options, and customizable headers—the Glam Pro theme gives every beauty blogger the necessary control over their content.
Providing endless customization opportunities to bloggers and the required levels of responsiveness to their audiences, there’s hardly anything not to like about Glam Pro.
As a top-notch third-party theme, it has dedicated authors that provide users with regular upgrades of its elements and features.
Their tutorials can also further help you make the best out of this theme—getting your beauty blog set up exactly to your liking.
What makes Style a great choice for beauty bloggers is the vivid and agreeable interface.
If you’re a creative minimalist eager to set up a simple blog structure and start sharing beauty content as quickly as possible, you don’t need to look any further than this theme.
Style offers you a wide amount of widgets, shortcodes, and optimization features to maximize interactions.
Customization and responsiveness are crucial for every beauty blog, and Style allows you to keep both at a high level simultaneously.
With this theme, you get a responsive page builder and a special options panel to navigate through the various elements and features on your blog. Moreover, you can add plenty of widgets to your blog to enhance the user experience.
The Style theme is compatible with WooCommerce, which means you can connect your blog to an online store—a great monetization avenue.
It is especially delightful to use because you can bring plenty of changes to your website and make sure it doesn’t impede your blog’s loading speed or the theme’s overall quality of performance.
Now the Fun Part: How to Actually Start Beauty Blogging!
There are many factors to consider at the beginning of your journey as a beauty blogger, but delivering top-quality content to your audience is a must.
Naturally, visual content and media are crucial for every skincare, makeup, nail art, or fashion blog.
- Images: Captivating, high-resolution pictures on your blog will highlight your creative writing style and attract the attention of your readers. Make sure you use your own high-quality images or mention the source of your photos.
- Videos: Start a niche YouTube channel where you share beauty tips, tutorials, or reviews of trending products on the market. Embed these videos on your blog and you can expect growth in your following base.
- Original content: When it comes to your written content, the most important thing for it is to reflect your voice and experience. Remember, your goal is to build a loyal following base that will identify with and connect to your personal creative style. Therefore, delivering unique content is key.
Beauty Blog Post Ideas for Beginners
So, original, visual content is king (or queen), you know that now.
But how do you find good ideas to start writing and making videos about?
All content creators struggle with finding the best beauty or skincare blog post ideas to write about at some point in their blogging journey—so don’t stress.
While finding the right topics for your first blog posts may be overwhelming, organizing your content upfront always helps.
Think of various types of content to include in your blog, such as list posts, how-to posts, useful quizzes, and so on.
This way, you can offer attractive and useful content that will keep your audience interested.
Brainstorm Blog Post Topics
We understand the problems you may face with deciding where to begin with blogging, so below we included high traffic beauty blog categories to help you get started with your initial blog posts.
We recommend opening up a word doc, excel or simply getting a pen and paper next to you. For each dot point below, try to brainstorm 2-3 blog topics that would fit in those categories and by the end of the list you’ll have your first 20 blogs!
To get you started, here’s a freebie!
10 Short Acrylic Nail Designs to Include in Your Next Glow Up!
Not only is this a great blog for video format, the keyword short acrylic nails has a monthly search volume of 99,000 people and a keyword difficulty of 7 (very low/easy) to rank high on Google!
- Beauty tips and advice: You may share some essential and useful beauty (skincare, haircare, nail art, or fashion) tips with your audience as a heads-up.
- Product reviews: Take your favorite, least favorite, or latest beauty product in your blog niche that you’ve used and write about the effect it had on your skin/hair/nails in a thorough and honest way. You can also be one of the first to tackle new trending products on the market and sum up your favorites at the end of the month.
- List articles: For example, you can list your skincare must-haves in a “Top 10 Skincare Products” article. There’s another one of your first 20! 😉
- How-to tutorials: Share your knowledge and skills in makeup or nail art with your audience in a step-by-step or DIY tutorial post. This way, your readers will get to know you as a blogger they can learn much from.
- Latest trends: Enthrall a chic and enthusiastic audience by discussing the latest trends in your chosen niche of the beauty industry.
- Beauty industry news: Spark your readers’ interest by presenting them with the latest relevant news from the beauty industry. Fashion shows, glamorous events such as music or film awards, collaborations of high-end brands with celebrities—the choice is yours!
- FAQ articles: Do your research on social media groups and forums to learn the most common questions that beauty blog readers have about your niche, then dedicate a post on answering them.
To make navigation easier for your audience, you should organize your blog into different categories that cover the types of posts we just went through together.
Publish Enough Content, Then Promote Your Blog
Before you think about promoting your blog, you should have a decent amount of quality content at your disposal.
Ideally, you’ll need to publish at least 10 blog posts before you share your website.
You might be eager to show your work to the world, but sharing your blog when you’ve published only one or two articles won’t bring you any significant results.
It’s much better to wait until you turn your blog into a resourceful and professional-looking online place.
This way, you can attract a wider audience that will stay for a longer time.
What Makes a Good Blog Post?
Again, unique beauty content is key and will have you stand out from your competition—and earn you more loyal readers.
This shouldn’t prevent you from researching other content creators in your niche and getting inspiration from their posts, though. Observe their ideas and work around them, but always strive to add new information and a personal touch to your articles.
Aim for SEO-friendly content that will land your blog at the top of Google search results. Find the most relevant keywords related to your topics and use them naturally throughout your posts.
Additionally, a blog post calendar with dates of publishing your future articles can help you stay organized and set yourself realistic expectations.
The best beauty bloggers have one main goal in mind—inspiring and influencing their audience by sharing their useful skills and recommending the best products on the market.
A successful beauty blogger builds a connection with their audience on trust and reliability.
How to Make Your Beauty Blog Known?
You went through all the technical steps of starting your blog and published your first articles, so now it’s just about sitting back and waiting until your audience reaches you, right?
Unfortunately, it’s not that easy.
Promotion is an important and sometimes the tougher part of beauty blogging, especially for new content creators.
Here are some useful ways to promote your beauty blog and stay ahead of your competition.
Utilize Social Media
Nowadays, social media is the primary source of information about products to purchase and skills to learn in many fields, including beauty and fashion. So, make sure you add a link to your blog on all your social media accounts.
It’s even better to put the link in your bio or header for better visibility. Also, include a call to action for your followers to subscribe to your newsletter.
For every new blog post that you publish, make a post on your social media and include a link. Single out the most important points from the article along with striking images that will invite your followers to click on your blog.
The success of many bloggers proves that paid social media advertising is a wise investment for the promotion of your beauty blog.
Facebook Ads, Instagram Ads, and Twitter can drive a significant amount of traffic to a new website. Also consider TikTok, especially if you are targeting younger audiences interested in your beauty niche.
Besides, the process of advertising has been simplified over the years and has been made quite affordable. You can contact a professional through platforms like Upwork or speak to other bloggers in the beauty blog space about how they market!
This brings us to the next step.
Join a Blogging Community
Beauty blogging is becoming an attractive career for many creatives, so you can find numerous respective groups and communities where bloggers from your niche get together on social media, be it Facebook, LinkedIn, or others.
Of course, you should employ valid networking methods in your promotion attempts instead of just spamming links.
Interact with other bloggers and beauty enthusiasts on a friendly level—share and comment to truly become a valuable part of the community.
Make Collaborations with Relevant Creators
Another useful way to promote your blog is to collaborate with other content creators, especially bigger names in your blogging niche.
Search for websites visited by a similar audience as yours, contact them, and discuss the possibility of writing a complimentary article on their blog. This process is called Guest Posting or Guest Blogging.
A collaboration with a popular blog can increase the visibility of your own beauty blog and score you valuable readers and backlinks—a strong ingredient for your SEO success.
It can also become a regular and profitable part of your marketing strategy as a beauty blogger.
And, once you do make a brand for yourself, don’t forget to become the one to help smaller blogs!
How Do Beauty Bloggers Make Money?
Let’s be honest—passion plays a great role in your desire to learn how to start a beauty blog, but profit is also crucial when it comes to professional blogging.
This is why we included several ways in which you can monetize your blog.
By becoming an affiliate marketer, you can turn your beauty product recommendations into profits and earn a commission for new customers who learn about a particular brand thanks to your blog.
Some beauty-related affiliate programs you can join to monetize your content include Amazon, Walmart, Target, Rakuten, Honey, and Tailwind.
Doing proper research in your beauty niche and finding the right affiliate program is a great way to start profiting from your blog.
Another way to monetize your blog is by utilizing your knowledge and skills in your chosen niche.
For instance, add a beauty blogger consultant landing page on your website and start sharing your beauty secrets with clients willing to pay for it.
Many people require the services of a beauty consultant, so this is a wise direction for your blogging career.
You can also summarize a significant part of your knowledge and expertise in information products such as beauty apps, courses, guides, e-books, and video tutorials.
You can include special promotions and discounts to make these products more attractive to your audience.
With your beauty blog gradually getting more exposure, you will have the chance to collaborate with different companies and brands.
You can get payment and an exclusive opportunity to use a product or service in exchange for a sponsored product review post on your beauty blog.
It’s worth mentioning that you should always keep your readers’ needs in mind and stick to your niche when it comes to sponsored posts, so don’t start promoting BBQ’s to audiences who want to read about eyelash extensions.
Personal Web Shop
If you want to test your creativity and entrepreneurship skills on another level, you can launch an online beauty shop on your blog.
You can offer a versatile assortment of homemade products to your readers, including face oils, lip balms, or bath products.
As a beauty blogger, selling unique and affordable alternatives for expensive items on the beauty market is a great way to elevate the profitability of your website.
Signing up for Google AdSense is a standard part of the marketing strategy for most beauty bloggers. It is a simple concept—you receive a fee for every ad that Google displays to your blog audience.
Google AdSense is the most favored ad network choice for bloggers (especially beginners in beauty blogging) because the setup process and maintenance are the easiest to handle.
As your following base and traffic on your website grow, you’ll profit more from Google’s ads, so this method can bring a nice addition to your budget.
Keep in mind, that to make a living from Google Ads, you will need substantial traffic to your blog, so it might not be the best monetization strategy to start with.
Get Inspired by the Greatest: 3 Best Beauty Blogs 2022
Last but not least, the sweetest part of learning how to start a beauty blog is getting inspiration from the best beauty bloggers in your preferred niche.
To get your creative juices flowing, we included three of the best beauty blogs 2022 has to offer.
Wendy Rowe is an internationally acclaimed makeup artist with more than 20 years of experience in the beauty industry. Having worked with countless elite magazines and celebrities, she’s widely famous for her expertise in skincare products. In her blog posts, she tackles the latest beauty industry news, makeup tips, and advice for improving your skin’s health.
Jackie Aina is a prominent beauty blogger and YouTuber that has been featured in many A-list magazines such as Harper’s Bazaar, Teen Vogue, and US Weekly.
Jackie’s audience loves her for her empowering approach towards natural beauty.
Her considerable knowledge of makeup products and glamor is an inspiration for thousands of women around the world.
Run by Catherine Brock, a personal finance writer and fashion connoisseur from California, Budget Fashionista offers economical beauty solutions to readers of any generation, body size, and lifestyle. Brock’s tips will help you prepare a stunning look for any event in a budget-friendly way.
How to Start a Beauty Blog: The Final Glow Up
Now that we’re at the end of our ultimate guide on how to start a beauty blog and run it like a pro, we hope you’ve gained sufficient insight into how to start a beauty blog, grow your audience, and profit from your passion for all things beauty.
Besides paying attention to the quality of your content, always remember that your blog posts should reflect your personality and your unique voice to help you stand out from the competition.
Paving your way to success in a busy beauty niche requires a lot of effort as a beginner, but your hard work and dedication are bound to pay off.
Good luck beauty blogger!