Having a strong brand and reputation requires an equally strong business name. This can ensure your business is memorable and is the first step in becoming a household name.
Once you have acquired the perfect business name, you need to make sure it is completely unique and can’t be confused with any existing businesses. This guide will help you to not only create a one-of-a-kind name but also register it in the state of Wyoming.
Generate Business Name Ideas
Preparation for Wyoming Business Name Search
Creating the perfect name is a vital step before you can check its availability and register it with the Wyoming Secretary of State’s office. Below are some simple tips to create a unique and memorable Wyoming business name.
- Rhythm or alliteration can make your business name catchy and easy to remember.
- Bold keywords that aren’t too common mean there’s less chance of your business name already being taken.
- Your business name should tell customers what your business does and why they should choose you over anyone else.
You could also use one of our many business name generator, which will come up with brilliant suggestions relevant to your industry.
How to Search for Available Names in Wyoming
Before you register your business name with the Wyoming Secretary of State’s office, you need to make sure it is definitely available. There are various ways to do this.
First, conduct a simple Google search for your proposed name. This will give you an idea of whether the name is already owned by another business. It can also tell you if the name is similar or risks being associated with another business.
The Wyoming Secretary of State’s website allows you to search through a database of the registered business names in Wyoming. You can search for names that ‘start with’ or ‘contain’ certain words or phrases.
Alternatively, you can switch on the instant domain name checker when using our business name generator.
How to Register a Business Name in Wyoming
Registering your business name requires the filing of certain formation documents. These may include Articles of Organisation or Articles of Incorporation. These forms can be found on the Wyoming Secretary of State’s website and can be submitted online or via mail.
You can also reserve your business name for 120 days if you are not ready for official registration. Trade names, also known as “Doing Business As” names, require separate paperwork. Assignment of Registered Trade Name forms cannot be filed via email and instead must be mailed to the Wyoming SOS office.
Policies and Procedures for Registering a Business Name in Wyoming
There are certain policies and procedures that ought to be considered when registering your business name in Wyoming.
- Your business name must be considered ‘distinguishable’. See the Wyoming Secretary of State’s guide for choosing a business name for more details.
- Many entities have specific requirements, e.g. LLC or Inc., check the appropriate form for details.
Certain names may require additional review. If so, these Wyoming business names should be submitted by mail, not online.
- If names contain certain words like ‘bank’ or ‘school’, they may require additional review by the department of education or banking.
- If names contain special characters or begin with the letter “A”, they may also require additional review.
Wyoming Secretary of State’s Business Division
|Address||Herschler Building East122 West 25th StreetSuite 101Cheyenne, WY 82002-0020|
|Email Address||[email protected]|
|Opening Hours||8 am – 5 pm, Monday – Friday|
How to Register a Business Name in Wyoming Online Portal
You can register your business using Wyoming’s online portal. Before doing so, you need to make sure that you have conducted a name availability search and agree to the relevant statutes.
Once you are confident that your business name is available, and compliant, you can submit your formation documents. Forms can be filled in and signed electronically, and there is a $2.00 convenience fee for using this online service.
How Costly is it to Register a Wyoming Business Name?
Filing the necessary formation documents to register your business name incurs a fee. Formation documents like Articles of Organisation and Incorporation cost $100 to file with the Wyoming Secretary of State’s office.
If you want to reserve your business name for 120 days, this will cost you $30. Choosing to adopt an assumed name? This will cost you $100, with an additional $50 for renewal every 10 years.
Wyoming Secretary of State’s website provides a full list of forms and fees and there is a $2 charge for any online form submissions.
Why Registering a Business Name in Wyoming is Important
There are many valid reasons why it is important to register your business name in Wyoming:
- Owning your business name. Registering your business with the Wyoming Secretary of State means that no other business entity can use that same name.
- Adding credibility and strength. Registered business entities appear more credible and professional to customers and potential investors.
- Managing finances. If you are registered in the state of Wyoming, you can open a bank account more easily, allowing you to manage your finances and maximise profits.
- Being compliant. It is often a legal requirement to register your business. Failure to do so could lead to penalties or fees.
Support for Registering a Business Name in Wyoming
If you are still seeking additional support for registering your business in Wyoming, there are various resources that could help.
The Wyoming Secretary of State’s website has a comprehensive FAQ page, which covers queries about registering your business name. Alternatively, you can contact their business division at 307.777.7311 or by emailing [email protected].
This Wyoming Business Name Search guide provides all the information you need to create a business name, check that it is available, and register it with the state.
Use our helpful business name generators to create the perfect business name, then register it online with the Wyoming Secretary of State. A registered business name reduces your personal liability, adds credibility to your business, and makes managing finances easier.
Contemplating registering a business outside of Wyoming? Our extensive list of business name search pages explains how the registration process could be different in other states.