Virginia Business Name Search
Before searching the Virginia Business Name Database, you can save time by making sure your business name is unique and distinguishable from other existing business entities within the Virginia business name database. We suggest coming with a few name ideas in-mind incase any are unavailable, you can also download the full Virginia entity name guidelines here (click here to download)
Generate Business Name Ideas
Search business name availability
Contacting the local Secretary of State (SOS) office via Phone or Email is free and is the most reliable way to check your business name availability.
Virginia has an online business name distinguishability form. The service is provided by the Commonwealth of Virginia State Corporation Commission.
To use the database search, enter a keyword or a phrase you plan to feature in your business name. If a company has registered such a title already, you will get a list matching your search criteria.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can register your business name via the State Corporate Commission website.
– You will have to pay a fee, depending on the corporate structure you’ve chosen – click here for more information.
– If you’re not ready to register your business name, you can reserve it. The fee for business name reservation is 10 dollars.
– Apart from doing an online form submission, you can download the needed PDF files and mail them to the physical address of the State Corporate Commission.
To register your business name, you’ll need to go through the following steps:
– File articles of organization with the State Corporate Commission.
– File an article of incorporation with the same state entity.
– If you want to, you can also go through the registration of doing business as (DBA) name.
– Obtain federal employer identification number (EIN).
– Open a company bank account.
Depending on the niche you want to operate in, you may have to obtain a few additional specialized licenses and permits for the business name registration to go through.
Name distinguishability is a requirement in Virginia for a business name registration request to be approved. If another company has already registered the business title you want, you will have to seek an alternative.
The addition of a letter, variation of a word, a plural or a contextual difference can be used to make your business name distinguishable.
If you’re not certain how to distinguish your name from an existing one, you’ll benefit from this official explanation.
While a variation can be registered, it’s still best to strive for originality. A business name that isn’t similar to the title of another entity will give you branding and marketing benefits on top of the easy registration.
If you’re still unable to find a business name that suits you, try using our business name generator to get unique name ideas (click here to find our business name generator).
Registering your business Domain/website
Don’t make the mistake of forgetting to check if the domain name is available for your business. The last thing you want is to register your business name and find out another competitor or company already has a website with your name! Use our domain check below to instantly check availability.
Enter your business name to check domain availability
US Business Name Search
Select a State