Vermont Business Name Search
Before searching the Vermont Business Name Database, you can save time by making sure your business name is unique and distinguishable from other existing business entities within the Vermont business name database. We suggest coming with a few name ideas in-mind incase any are unavailable, you can also download the full Vermont entity name guidelines here (click here to download)
Generate Business Name Ideas
Search business name availability
Contacting the local Secretary of State (SOS) office via Phone or Email is free and is the most reliable way to check your business name availability.
The Vermont Secretary of State website enables free of charge and easy database search for corporate entities that have already been registered.
You can search by phrase or keyword and all matches will be retrieved for your consideration. You can also carry out a search based on business type or registration status.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can register your business name via the Vermont Secretary of State website.
– In Vermont, you can register a trade name (doing business as) on top of the business name.
– To file an article of incorporation, you will have to pay a fee of 125 dollars. There is also a 50-dollar fee for trade name registration.
– Business name reservation services are also available and the fee is 20 dollars.
To register your business name, you’ll need to go through the following steps:
– Create your business account registration via the Vermont Secretary of State website.
– Submit a request for the needed trade forms.
– Get approval from the Vermont Secretary of State office. If your name is deceptively similar to a title in existence, your application will be rejected.
– Decide if you’re also going to go through a trademark filing process to ensure the large scale protection of your business name.
– If you don’t want to file online, you can also file by mail but understand the fact that the procedure will take longer to complete.
As your current registration expires, you will have to go through a business name renewal. The fee is 40 dollars.
The state of Vermont operates under the “deceptively similar” clause when it comes to business name registration.
This means that if the Secretary of State office rules out your name is deceptively similar to a title already on record, your registration request will not go through.
A business name has to be distinguishable. Distinction is achieved through a change in the order of words (Multimedia Theater and Theater Multimedia, for example), the omission or addition of a distinctive keyword, the addition of one or more numbers, the use of homophones (241 Lead Street and Two for One Lead Street).
Take some time to seek a valid distinction. This way, you will register a business name that your clients will be capable of distinguishing from the titles of other corporate entities.
If you’re still unable to find a business name that suits you, try using our business name generator to get unique name ideas (click here to find our business name generator).
Registering your business Domain/website
Don’t make the mistake of forgetting to check if the domain name is available for your business. The last thing you want is to register your business name and find out another competitor or company already has a website with your name! Use our domain check below to instantly check availability.
Enter your business name to check domain availability
US Business Name Search
Select a State