United Kingdom Business Name Search
Before searching the United Kingdom Business Name Database, you can save time by making sure your business name is unique and distinguishable from other existing business entities within the United Kingdom business name database. We suggest coming with a few name ideas in-mind incase any are unavailable, you can also download the full United Kingdom entity name guidelines here (click here to download)
Generate Business Name Ideas
Search business name availability
Searching the Companies House online register is the best way to find out if the company name you’re interested in is available.
The Company Name Availability Checker works with both a single keyword and a phrase of preference. It provides free of charge information about businesses already included in the national database.
As per the official information, this is a trial service and it may provide inaccurate or incomplete entries on occasions. Still, it will give you some idea about possible variations of the business name you may want to explore before initiating registration.
Frequently Asked Questions
A detailed list of company name registration guidelines is available here. Once you’re aware of all the requirements, you can begin the registration process online.
– You will need to have a linked credit card or a PayPal account to pay the filing fees.
– Sole traders can operate under their own name. The process outlined here is mandatory solely for private limited companies.
– Apart from checking for registered names before going forward, you may also want to take a look at the list of registered trademarks.
To register your business name, you will need to complete the following steps:
– Check if you need a specific license or a permit to complete the registration (applicable to representatives of certain industries).
– Check if you will need business insurance.
– Take a look at this checklist to go through all of the required steps (choose directors, shareholders, register the business with the Companies House, register with HMRC for corporate tax, etc.).
– Fill out the online form to complete the registration process.
If you are completing the online registration process, the approval will take 24 hours. There is a 12-pound fee you will have to pay. To register by mail, you will need to download and fill form IN01. The cost is 40 pounds and the processing time is eight to 10 days.
Your business name cannot be the same or too similar to a title that’s already included in the national record. This is why you have to check both the business name database and the UK trademarks before going further with the registration process.
A change in punctuation, the use of special characters like the plus sign, the use of a word common in UK company names and the use of a word that’s very similar to the one included in a registered title will NOT result in the creation of a distinctive business name.
A name will be considered to be “too like” another name if the two are more or less stating the same thing: Easy Electronics Market and EZ Electronics Market will be considered “too like.”
It’s best to seek an alternative by fine-tuning or business name concept or coming up with a completely different and more original idea.
If you’re still unable to find a business name that suits you, try using our business name generator to get unique name ideas (click here to find our business name generator).
Registering your business Domain/website
Don’t make the mistake of forgetting to check if the domain name is available for your business. The last thing you want is to register your business name and find out another competitor or company already has a website with your name! Use our domain check below to instantly check availability.
Enter your business name to check domain availability