South Dakota Business Name Search
Before searching the South Dakota Business Name Database, you can save time by making sure your business name is unique and distinguishable from other existing business entities within the South Dakota business name database. We suggest coming with a few name ideas in mind in case any are unavailable, you can also download the full South Dakota entity name guidelines here (click here to download)
Generate Business Name Ideas
Search business name availability
Contacting the local Secretary of State (SOS) office via Phone or Email is free and is the most reliable way to check your business name availability.
Online, you can search for South Dakota businesses entities for free via the South Dakota Secretary of State office’s Business Name Availability function (click here to visit), simply enter your business name into the “search name” field or you can search for a preexisting name using the Business Information Search (click here to visit).
Frequently Asked Questions
You can register your business name via the South Dakota Secretary of State website’s Business Services page.
The “Form or Register a New Business” page provides useful links to instructions including:
- – Who can file on the site
- – What you will need to register or e-file your business entity
- – Accepted methods of payment if you wish to file electronically
- – Informational pamphlets on different business types
- – The SD Business Start-Up Information Packet
- – Important naming information
To register your business name, you’ll need the following:
- – Visit the Online New Business Registration page of the SOS site
- – Payment method (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express debit or credit cards) if you wish to file electronically
- – A printed version (if you don’t wish to file electronically) of your business entity as completed with the online business entity process (this requires mailing it in for an additional $15 paper processing fee)
- – The “Print” option will be available on the “Confirmation” step of the online business entity process. Simply print and sign the completed document and mail it in with the proper filing fee
If your ideal business name is already in use, you could still use a similar variant by gaining consent from the current entity and making a few minor changes to the name. To test for different variations on a proposed name, try searching using the Business Information Search.
Registering your business Domain/website
Don’t make the mistake of forgetting to check if the domain name is available for your business. The last thing you want is to register your business name and find out another competitor or company already has a website with your name! Use our domain check below to instantly check availability.
Enter your business name to check domain availability
US Business Name Search
Select a State