Finding and registering the perfect business name can feel like an overwhelming task. To simplify this process, you can follow a few simple tips outlined below.
We’ve written this helpful guide to help you navigate Singapore’s business name registration process. Read on to learn how to manage the process, from creating a new name to registering it with the government.
Generate Business Name Ideas
Prepare For Your Singapore Business Name Search
Get inspired and create a brilliant business name by following these preparation activities.
- Look up existing businesses within your industry and consider which business names stand out to you.
- Consider ways to capture your customers’ attention. For example, your business name could rhyme, contain alliteration, or even a pun.
- Note a few keywords that sum up your business and input them into one of our business name search generators.
How To Search Available Names In Singapore
Before registering your business name, it’s worth doing some background research to minimise the risk of your application being rejected.
Business registration applications will be rejected if the business name is already registered to another company. Making sure your name is unique will also improve marketing efforts and make your business more accessible to customers.
You can conduct a search via BizFile. Bizfile is the business filing portal for the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA.) If your proposed business name is unavailable, try changing it slightly to differentiate it.
How to Register Your Business Name In Singapore
Once you’ve chosen a business name, it’s worth checking if there’s a corresponding domain available. Continuity is essential, and having the same business and domain name makes finding your business more straightforward. Check domain name availability for free by toggling domain name availability on our generators.
The most straightforward way to register your business is to use ACRA’s online portal, Bizfile. The first step is to reserve your business name by completing an ‘application for a new business name.’
Once you’ve reserved your business name, you’re ready for registration and must do this within 120 days. Again, visit Bizfile, and complete an ‘application to register person(s) and business name’.
Singapore Business Name Registration Policies And Procedures
When registering your Singapore business name, it’s important to consider the country’s policies and procedures.
- You should avoid selecting names that could be vulgar or offensive, as these will automatically be rejected.
- Any names similar to government bodies will not pass the registration process. For example ‘Temasek.’
- They might send some applications to Referral Authorities for approval. For example, if your proposed business name contains ‘school’ or ‘bank.’
- Your name is reserved for 120 days, and if you don’t register the business or incorporate the company within this period, the name will be released.
Singapore Business Registration Office
|Email:||ACRA Enquiry Form|
|Address:||#03-02, Revenue House55 Newton Road, Singapore 307987|
|Hours:||8am – 5pm, Monday – Friday|
How to use an Online Portal to Register your Business Name in Singapore
See below for more detailed instructions on using ACRA’s online portal to reserve and register your business name.
- Visit Bizfile, click on eServices and find the section relevant to your entity (sole proprietorship, partnership, LLP, LLC, etc.)
- From here, select ‘Application for a new business name.’
- Enter your proposed business name and fill in the remaining fields to complete the form.
- Once you’ve completed the form and made your payment, you’ll hear whether your application has been successful in a few days.
- Select ‘Application to Register Person(s) and Business Name’ from the relevant section on Bizfile.
- Enter your business name and fill in your business’ primary and secondary activities.
- Complete the rest of the form and submit your identification.
- Confirm your application and make your payment. Wait for confirmation before commencing any business activity.
How Costly Is It To Register Business Name In Singapore
Registering your business name in Singapore involves various administrative fees. Applying for a business name costs S$15, and registering your business costs S$100. If you choose to trademark your business or seek legal counsel, there may be additional costs involved.
Why Should I Register A Business Name In Singapore?
There are various benefits to registering your business name in Singapore.
- Funding Opportunities. You can’t apply for government or private funding without a registered business name.
- Managing Finances. It’s far easier to open and manage a bank account if your business is registered with the government.
- Name Protection. Once you’ve registered, no other business can operate under that business name.
- Legal Compliance. Registering with the Singapore government is a legal requirement, and failure to do so could lead to consequences.
Support When Registering A Business Name In Singapore
You may be wondering what support is available to you during this crucial stage of launching your business venture.
Find instructional videos that cover every step of the registration process on ACRA’s YouTube Channel. Downloadable eGuides are also available via ACRA’s website.
You can visit ACRA’s contact page for even more support. From here, you can ask your question to Jamie, ACRA’s virtual assistant. Alternatively, you can leave an enquiry, call the ACRA Helpdesk at 6248-6028, or make an eAppointment.
There are four basic steps to registering your business name in Singapore:
- Use our handy generators to develop the perfect name.
- Check that name is available using ACRA’s website.
- Apply to reserve that name for up to 120 days.
- Register your business name with the ACRA.
If you’re contemplating starting a business in a country other than Singapore, we have business name search pages for locations worldwide.