To build a successful brand, you first need an impactful business name. Having a strong name will help your business thrive, but finding inspiration isn’t always easy, and neither is the official registration process.
Fear not. We have created this helpful guide to help business owners find and secure a Rhode Island business name. Read on to discover how to produce a completely original name and register it in Rhode Island.
Generate Business Name Ideas
Preparation for Rhode Island Business Name Search
Before registering your business, you need to come up with the perfect name. Follow these simple tips to get inspired and find a fantastic name befitting your brand.
- Think about which business names come to mind when you think about your industry; your name should be equally memorable and evocative.
- Consider whether you want your business name to contain rhythm, alliteration, or powerful imagery.
- List a few keywords that reflect your brand. Try to avoid common words that are likely to be featured in hundreds of business names already.
- Find suggestions of business names based on your keywords with one of our many business name generators.
How to Search for Available Names in Rhode Island
When you’ve established a brilliant business name that reflects your brand, check if it’s available for use.
Enter your proposed business name into a search engine to see if the name is already in use. If your search uncovers that other companies share the same or a similar name, try modifying it so it’s more original.
To be confident that your business name is one-of-a-kind, visit Rhode Island’s Secretary of State’s Website. From here, you can access the RI Department Of State Corporate Database and check the availability of your name.
How to Register a Business Name In Rhode Island
When you’ve decided on a business name and made sure it’s available, consider reserving a corresponding domain name. A robust online presence boosts visibility and makes your business more accessible to customers. Check domain name availability for free with our instant domain name checker or Domain Name Generator.
To officially register your Rhode Island business name, create an account with the Division of Business Services and file the relevant paperwork online or by mail. There are different forms for different business entities, so be sure to choose the right one.
Policies and Procedures for Registering a Business Name in Rhode Island
We’ve covered the basics of how to register a business name in Rhode Island. Now it’s time to explore the policies and procedures involved.
- Sole Proprietorships and Partnerships. Operate under your full first and last name to avoid having to register or file a trade name with your local clerk.
- Corporations and LLCs. Register your unique business name with the Rhode Island SOS office.
The entity name standard for Rhode Island is “distinguishable upon the record.” Any requests for names indistinguishable from registered names on file will be denied. See Rhode Island’s name availability guidelines for more information.
Rhode Island Business Registration Office
|Address:||Division of Business Services148 W. River StreetProvidence RI 02904-2615|
|Opening Hours:||8.30 am – 4.30 pm, Monday – Friday|
How to Use an Online Portal to Register Business names in Rhode Island
Register your business name online with the Rhode Island Business Services Online Filing system. From here, you can choose from a library of documents and get your new business started.
The Rhode Island ‘Business Assistant’ can help you determine whether you need a reservation form, fictitious name application, or incorporation document.
How Costly is it to Register a Rhode Island Business Name?
There are various fees involved in registering your business name in Rhode Island.
- General Partnerships and Sole Proprietors do not legally need to register, so there is no cost involved.
- Registering the formation documents for corporations and LLCs will cost between $150 and $200.
- Reserving an entity name for 120 days costs $20 to $50, depending on the business structure.
- Applying for a fictitious business name also costs $20 to $50.
- State-level trademarks provide extra protection over your business name and cost $50.
- Federal trademarks prevent other businesses from using your business name across the US and cost a minimum of $250.
Why Registering a Business Name in Rhode Island is Important
There are many benefits to registering your business name in Rhode Island:
- It provides you with credibility and shows that your business is professional to customers and investors.
- Registration means that other businesses can’t operate under the same name, giving you originality.
- It also protects you from legal liability, as registering with the secretary of state is often a legal requirement.
Support for Registering a Business Name in Rhode Island
For support in registering your business name in Rhode Island, refer to their government website.
You can schedule an online appointment with an expert from the Business Services for support and guidance. You can also refer to the ‘Training Calender’ for any upcoming virtual workshops and webinars.
Alternatively, call the Business Services at 401-222-3040, email email@example.com or reach out over social media.
Registering a Rhode Island Business Name Summary
To register your Rhode Island business name, you must conjure a fantastic name, check it is available, and register it with the Secretary of State.
Take advantage of our helpful business name generators to find inspiration and create the perfect business name. Then, visit Rhode Island’s SOS website to ascertain its availability. Finally, register by submitting the relevant forms and your business venture can begin.
If you want to conduct business outside of Rhode Island, we have a list of business name search pages to explain how the registration process may differ from state to state.