Are you finally starting the journey to making your business dreams a reality but not sure where to begin on your Pennsylvania business name search?
If so, the following guide could be of great use to you. Read on to find out everything you need to know about finding an exciting business name, the relevant procedures of name registration in Pennsylvania and the support you will be able to use when registering your business name.
Generate Business Name Ideas
Prepare For Your Pennsylvania Business Name Search
Before you start the lengthy process of searching for your Pennsylvania business name, we advise that you undergo some preparation to ensure you have everything you need to succeed. Here are a few steps you can take;
- Brainstorm descriptive words for your business – think outside the box when doing this to guarantee to find words that make you stand out!
- Use resources such as thesaurus’ to find exciting and unique synonyms for overused words.
- Ask colleagues, friends and family for feedback on any names you like. Constructive feedback will help you reach your vision, with outside perspectives pushing you down the right way.
When you feel you have gathered suitable words that you’re happy with, you can input them into our Business Name Generator. Name generators are the best way to find quick and distinguishable name results.
How To Search Available Names In Pennsylvania
To search available Pennsylvania business names, you need to visit Pennsylvania’s Department of State website. Once you get onto the site, you will see the ‘Business & Charities’ button at the top of the page, which you will need to click on.
When you get to the business section, look for the links situated on the right side of the page. Here, you will find a link for ‘Business Name Search’, which you will need to enter.
From here, you will be able to search business entities on record with Pennsylvania’s government.
How to Register Your Business Name In Pennsylvania
Before you register your Pennsylvania business name, we advise that you check that there is a domain available in the business name you would like to use.
To find out if your desired domain name is free for your use, you can use our instant domain check on our Domain Name Generator.
Once you have your domain and business name settled, you can officially register your business name.
In Pennsylvania, there are a few different filing options to choose from. These include;
- A certificate of organization or incorporation (depending on your business structure).
- An Unregistered Foreign Association
- An Unincorporated Association name registration form.
All registration forms are available via the Pennsylvania Department of State.
Pennsylvania Business Name Registration Policies And Procedures
When you are about to register your Pennsylvania business name, you must familiarize yourself with the laws and rules that are in place in this state. To simplify this process, we have devised a few points you must note below;
- Prior to registering your business name/filing registration documents for your business, you must take care deciding which structure your business will operate under. Your business or fictitious name must present this structure by using full terms such as ‘Incorporated’ or abbreviations such as ‘Inc’.
- Your name must be distinguishable against others on record within Pennsylvania’s Department of State. Take your time doing your business entity search to ensure your name isn’t already taken.
- There are restricted words that you should not include in your business name. For example, you shouldn’t use any term that may imply your business is in partnership with an existing government entity.
Pennsylvania Business Registration Office
|Hours:||8am – 5pm, Monday – Friday|
How To Use An Online Portal To Register Business Names In Pennsylvania
All online registration filings are to be done through Pennsylvania’s Department of State website. To make this process slightly less stressful, Pennsylvania has created a Business One-Stop Shop website to advise on registering and where to find everything you need.
In the Department of State business section, you will find all the various registration forms. Once you have filled your form out, you can submit your form online through ‘PENN File’, Pennsylvania’s digital filing system.
To use the PENN File system, you will need to create an account.
How Costly Is It To Register Business Name In Pennsylvania
Registering your Pennsylvania business name comes with fees depending on your business structure and is slightly different from costs in other states. Business name registration goes hand in hand with registering your business.
Standard procedures apply when registering an Unregistered Foreign Association or Unincorporated Association name, and the cost is $70.
However, this may not be the same for other business structures. For example, in the Certificate of Organization for Domestic LLCs, the filing of this form comes to $125.
You can also reserve a business name for 120 days at the fee of $70.
Why Should I Register A Business Name In Pennsylvania
Registering a business name in Pennsylvania comes with an abundance of benefits, with its convenient East Coast location and nationally recognized education system. To run you through why you should register, we have put together a few points;
- You will have access to training and support courtesy of Pennsylvania’s Business One-Stop Shop page. Here, you can find ecommerce tips and support tailored toward small, diverse businesses and state funding programs.
- Be a part of a supportive business network. Here, you can expect professional help whilst getting to know your community.
- Small businesses are responsible for 99.6% of businesses in the state. Be a part of this innovative and exciting core for small business entrepreneurs.
Support When Registering A Business Name In Pennsylvania
When registering your Pennsylvania business name, you can expect support from the Department of State and their Business One-Stop Shop sector.
From reduced filing fees for veterans to easy-to-follow guides for small businesses, Pennsylvania makes sure to have different types of support for every entrepreneur.
We hope you have now decided on a Pennsylvania business name and are feeling ready to get started with registering it! Remember to look back on this guide if you become unsure about any steps, or refer to Pennsylvania’s Business One-Stop Shop for further help.
If you would like to compare name registration and support for small businesses in Pennsylvania with other states, you can do so by checking out the other business name search articles we have concerning other states on our website.