North Carolina Business Name Search
Before searching the North Carolina Business Name Database, you can save time by making sure your business name is unique and distinguishable from other existing business entities within the North Carolina business name database. We suggest coming with a few name ideas in-mind incase any are unavailable, you can also download the full North Carolina entity name guidelines here (click here to download)
Generate Business Name Ideas
Search business name availability
Contacting the local Secretary of State (SOS) office via Phone or Email is free and is the most reliable way to check your business name availability.
Online, you can search for North Carolina business entities for free via the North Carolina Secretary of State website (click here to visit). You can search both by company name and assumed business name in the state. Enter a relevant phrase or a keyword and all of the entries that meet your search criteria will be listed.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can register your business name via the North Carolina NC.gov website.
– Online registration is available but if you want to, you can submit the required documents by mail.
– You will have to go through the North Carolina Secretary of State review process. If your name is too similar to one that’s already been registered, your application will be rejected.
– In North Carolina, you can also register an assumed business name. Learn more about the specifics of assumed business name registration here.
To register your business name, you will need to do the following:
– Fill out and submit all of the required forms.
– Select the type of business structure that corresponds to your activities.
– Determine whether you’re also going to register an assumed name for your business.
– Pay 125 dollars for the incorporation of your business.
– If you’re not ready to incorporate your business, you are free to reserve a business name. The reservation will cost you 30 dollars.
Once the registration process is completed, you will receive the documents that verify your ownership of the entity and the name. In North Carolina, you will have to go through a registration renewal process on an annual basis (the renewal fee is 26 dollars).
The North Carolina Secretary of State reviews all business names before the registration is approved. You cannot register a business name that’s similar to the title another entity is already using.
When registering a business name in North Carolina, it’s also a good idea to carry out a trademark search. There may be words or phrases that you cannot utilize in your business name, even if another entity doesn’t carry such a name.
A business name has to be distinguishable from those already in the North Carolina database. Making your name unique will prevent you from getting in legal trouble and it will also benefit your marketing efforts. Take some time to come up with a few suitable choices.
If you’re still unable to find a business name that suits you, try using our business name generator to get unique name ideas (click here to find our business name generator).
Registering your business Domain/website
Don’t make the mistake of forgetting to check if the domain name is available for your business. The last thing you want is to register your business name and find out another competitor or company already has a website with your name! Use our domain check below to instantly check availability.
Enter your business name to check domain availability
US Business Name Search
Select a State