Mississippi Business Name Search
Before searching the Mississippi Business Name Database, you can save time by making sure your business name is unique and distinguishable from other existing business entities within the Mississippi business name database. We suggest coming up with a few name ideas, in case some are unavailable. You can also download the full Mississippi entity name guidelines here (click here to download)
Generate Business Name Ideas
Search business name availability
Contacting the local Secretary of State (SOS) office via Phone or Email is free and is the most reliable way to check your business name availability.
Online, you can search for Mississippi business entities for free via the website of the Mississippi Secretary of State (click here to visit). Just enter the phrase you’re considering for your company name or a word that you’re interested in. If there are matches, the database will return the information pertaining to the registered entities carrying the specific name.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can register your business name through the Business Service Division of the Mississippi Secretary of State office. Online document filing is possible or you could alternatively submit everything needed to complete the process via mail.
– If you don’t have a sole proprietorship or you don’t operate a business under your own name, you will have to register the so-called fictitious business name in Mississippi.
– The registration of a fictitious business name is not mandatory in Mississippi.
– There are filing fees you’ll have to pay. All of the charges are listed on the Mississippi Secretary of State website.
To register your business name, you’ll need to do the following:
– Obtain the fictitious business name from the SOS office (after you’ve made sure that your business name is distinguishable from those of entities already registered).
– Provide information about your business entity (location, registration documents, mailing address, Mississippi business identification number).
– Pay the respective type of filing fee and provide evidence of the payment alongside the other documents you’ve submitted.
A fictitious business name you register is valid for a period of five years. In order to keep the name, you will have to go through a renewal process in the end of that period.
If you are forming a corporation or an LLC, you’ll have to understand the fact that your business name cannot be reminiscent of corporate names already registered by someone else. This is the main reason why you’re asked to do a corporate entity search before moving forward with the name registration.
Mississippi, just like all other states, has its set of requirements when it comes to distinguishable business names.
You will have to look for a variation of a name that’s already been taken for the purpose of registering it. Even if you do, however, a business name that’s a derivative of somebody else’s title isn’t the best choice for the establishment of a brand new corporation.
Look for a name that carries some originality and that’s relevant to the industry you’re planning to enter.
If you’re still unable to find a business name that suits you, try using our business name generator to get unique name ideas (click here to find our business name generator).
Registering your business Domain/website
Don’t make the mistake of forgetting to check if the domain name is available for your business. The last thing you want is to register your business name and find out another competitor or company already has a website with your name! Use our domain check below to instantly check availability.
Enter your business name to check domain availability
US Business Name Search
Select a State