Finding the perfect business name isn’t always easy, and neither is the process of registering that name. So as you begin your India business name search, you may be feeling overwhelmed.
To help you navigate this stressful time, we have devised a step by step guide to taking you through the process of finding a suitable business name and registering it. So read on to find out how you can commence your India business name search!
Generate Business Name Ideas
Prepare For Your India Business Name Search
Before registering your Indian business name, you need to find one! This can sometimes be a struggle and isn’t always easy to do. To help you get the ball rolling, we have devised a couple of preparation steps you can take;
- Think about an appropriate strategy. Is your business part of a fast-paced, ever-evolving market? Creating a witty, catchy and fun name may be the best approach to grab consumers’ attention.
- Does your best selling product have any stand out features? Can you use synonyms for these features to create an engaging, outside-the-box word?
Once you have a few keywords, you can try them out in our Business Name Generator!
How To Search Available Names In India
Before you take your favourite business name and run with it, you need to do a background check to see if anyone else is currently using your desired business name.
To search for available Indian business names, you need to go to the Indian government website, MCA.
At the top of the homepage, there are drop-down icons for you to choose from. For example, to find the business name search, you will want to click ‘MCA Services’.
Here, you can select ‘Check company name’. You can search for either a company or LLC name to check that your proposed business name is not the same as any currently registered and on record.
How to Register Your Business Name In India
Now that you know your business name is available to use, it is time to check that there is also a domain available in your proposed name. Having a domain and business name the same makes it easier to find your business!
You can find out if your domain is available by using our instant domain check.
The easiest way to register your India business name is to use the SPICe+ program, which you can access via MCA.
To fill out your SPICe+ name application, you must have personal details such as your address, name of business owners, proposed business name etc.
India Business Name Registration Policies And Procedures
When registering your India business name, it is crucial that you pay attention to the rules and regulations in this country. To help you understand what these policies consist of, we have broken them down;
- Unless operating as one of the following businesses, your business name should not indicate that your company is related to finances, investments or securities.
- Your business name should contain a noun or a word that reflects what your business does.
- Your business name should not be similar to any other on record, whether this is phonetically or when written.
- Your business name should contain the following elements; the first being a unique word, the second being a business structure.
- You must have a digital signature certificate to start registering your business and its name online, you can find the DSC filing system on the MCA website.
India Business Registration Office
|Hours:||9am – 5:30pm, Monday – Friday|
How To Use An Online Portal To Register Business Names In India
You can use the MCA filing service or the SPICe+ program to register an India business name.
When using the SPICe+ program, you will need to use Part A to reserve your business name first and then go onto part B to incorporate your business officially.
To incorporate your business, you will need to have the following documents/certificates; a Digital Signature Certificate, Director Identification Number and a New User Registration or eForm.
All of these documents can be found on the MCA website, underneath the MCA services section.
How Costly Is It To Register Business Name In India
To register your business name in India, you will need to incorporate your company. This certificate of incorporation is Rs. 100.00 per copy. There is no extra charge for name application when incorporating your business, and it is included in the full price.
To reserve your business name in India, there are two costs;
- Private Limited Company is Rs. 1000
- Limited Liability Partnership is Rs. 200
Business name reservation lasts for 20 days following approval, and these fees are non-refundable and can be paid using a debit/credit card online.
Why Should I Register A Business Name In India
There are many unregistered businesses in India due to issues with finances and accessibility. This may make you feel that not registering your business or its name will slip under the radar unnoticed. Whilst this may be the case for many companies, there are benefits that you will miss out on should you not register. Here are some of them;
- Registering a business ensures that you are open to receiving funding opportunities.
- Opening a business bank account becomes easier and more accessible, as there is ample proof that your entity exists and that you are not unregistered to transact business.
- Having Limited Liability Protection ensures that any shareholders or owners of your company will not be held accountable for any losses or debts that your business may run into. If an unregistered business faced this situation, they would have to face their losses in their own pocket.
Support When Registering A Business Name In India
So, you may be wondering where the support is for you whilst you jump over this mammoth leap into your business. Here are some valuable resources for you to make use of;
- UK India Business Council – As hinted in the name, this service helps UK businesses that wish to make it big in India by offering advice on finances and networking.
- Startup India – The most powerful platform in India provides startup businesses with free resources such as online courses, networking, lessons and advice.
We have now given an overview of everything you need to know to start your India business name search and register that name when the time comes!
If you are unsure India is the right location for your business, we have business name search articles for locations all over the world – from the US States to the UK and Australia! Feel free to check them out on our website.