If you’re starting a new business venture in Hong Kong, the first step is finding the perfect business name that will propel you to success. Creating and registering an inspiring and original business name can be a challenge.
That’s why we’ve created this helpful guide to help you in your Hong Kong business name search. Read on for advice on generating a new name, checking its availability, and officially registering it.
Generate Business Name Ideas
Preparation for Hong Kong Business Name Search
To find the perfect name for your new business, follow these simple tips:
- Research existing business names in Hong Kong, especially those within your industry.
- Pick out existing business names that stand out to you. Why are they so memorable? Do they contain rhythm, alliteration or bold keywords?
- List some keywords that encapsulate your business but try to avoid unoriginal words used by many other businesses.
- For extra inspiration, input your keywords into one of our many business name generators.
How to Search for Available Names in Hong Kong
As soon as you’ve settled on a great business name that is well-suited to your brand, check if it’s available in Hong Kong.
Visit Hong Kong’s government website, select the ‘Business and Trade’ tab and scroll down to find ‘Registration and Licenses.’ You can search through the database of registered companies in Chinese or English from here.
If your chosen name hasn’t been registered by another company and is available for use, you can move on to the official registration process. However, if there’s already an existing business with your chosen name, you’ll need to develop an alternative.
How to Register a Business Name In Hong Kong
After settling on an available business name, look into reserving a corresponding domain name. This will boost your online presence and make it easier for customers to access your products and services. Check domain name availability for free with our domain name checker or Domain Name Generator.
To register your Hong Kong business name, you need to complete the relevant application forms, pay the business registration fee, and produce proof of identity. You can view this table to find the documents needed for each business entity.
Policies and Procedures for Registering a Business Name in Hong Kong
We’ve gone over the basics of how to register your business name in Hong Kong. Now, we’ll explore the policies and procedures involved.
- There’s no provisional approval of names, so you need to be confident your name meets Hong Kong’s naming requirements before registering; otherwise, your application will be rejected.
- You can either register a Chinese name, an English name, or both. However, you can’t combine both languages within one business name.
- The Registrar will deny registration if your business name is already registered with another company or is deemed offensive.
- Prior approval is needed for any names that imply your business is connected with the Hong Kong government, i.e. including words like department, government, or bureau.
- You can’t choose a name that suggests your business is incorporated with limited liability when it’s not.
Hong Kong Business Registration Office
|Address:||4/F, Revenue Tower5 Gloucester RoadWan Chai, Hong Kong|
|Opening Hours:||8.15 am – 5.30 pm, Monday – Friday|
How to Use an Online Portal to Register Business names in Hong Kong
Register your business name online using the eTAX service within one month of commencing business in Hong Kong. Once your application has gone through, you can receive your formation certificates by post or in person.
How Costly is it to Register a Hong Kong Business Name?
1-year Business Registration Certificates cost HK$250, and 3-year certificates cost around HK$4,000. That is roughly the equivalent of uS$30 or US$500.
There may be additional fees if you seek legal counsel, wish to trademark your name, or require copies of your registration certificates.
Why Registering a Business Name in Hong Kong is Important
It’s essential to register your business name if you wish to conduct business in Hong Kong. Below, we have given a brief overview of the key reasons why.
- Hong Kong is a major gateway to Mainland China, therefore is a fantastic location for conducting business
- With a registered business name, the public can look up information about your business, giving transparency and proving that you’re a reputable brand.
- When you officially register, no other business can operate under the same name, meaning you’ll be an original brand.
- Registering with the government is a legal requirement, and failure to do this within the allotted time frame could incur fees or even imprisonment.
Support for Registering a Business Name in Hong Kong
To find out more about registering a business name in Hong Kong, you can access support via the GovHK website.
You can also directly contact their business registration office on 187-8088 or visit in-person Monday to Friday, 8.15 am – 5.30 pm.
Registering your Hong Kong business name involves three basic steps. First, come up with a great name, then check if it is available, and finally register it with the government.
Use our helpful business name generators to generate a memorable Hong Kong business name. To check its availability, compare your chosen name against Hong Kong’s database of registered business names. Finally, register and submit your formation documents online to kick-start your business journey.
Considering starting a business outside of Hong Kong? Check out our extensive list of business name search pages which explain the registration process of countries across the globe.