Hawaii Business Name Search
Before searching the Hawaii Business Name Database, you can save time by making sure your business name is unique and distinguishable from other existing business entities within the Hawaii business name database. We suggest coming up with a few name ideas, in case some are unavailable. You can also download the full Hawaii entity name guidelines here (click here to download)
Generate Business Name Ideas
Search business name availability
Contacting the local Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs office via Phone or Email is free and is the most reliable way to check your business name availability.
Online, you can search for Hawaii businesses entities for free via the DCAA website (click here to visit). Simply enter your business name into the available field and you’ll get all relevant results.
Keep in mind that even if the search suggests a business name isn’t taken, you can’t assume that it is available. Contacting the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs and going through the name registration process are the only ways to be 100 percent certain in your selection.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can register your business name via the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs Business Registration website. Online applications are available – click here to get started.
– You can reserve a business name even before you move on to the company incorporation process.
– Hawaii has also put together an application wizard that will guide you through the process of filing out and submitting the right set of documents.
– More information about the business name registration process is available in the registration portal’s official FAQ section.
To register your business name or to reserve it, you’ll need to do the following:
– Acquaint yourself with the rules and requirements for the preliminary reservation of a Hawaii business name.
– Explore the list of forms you’ll need to submit with your registration request. You will also need to create a free online account with Hawaii Business Express.
– Pay the processing fees and taxes.
– Provide a few additional company-related documents: annual report, a certificate of good standing, etc.
The Hawaii Business Express portal is created to simplify all registration, renewal and filing processes connected to incorporating a business entity. There is also a huge library of reference resources you can rely on to familiarize yourself with the regulations and the documents needed for the successful completion of the process.
In Hawaii, just like in other states, using a business name that has been registered by someone else is not permissible.
The business name you choose has to be distinctive and easily distinguishable from the names of other entities. Hence, you cannot introduce a slight variation from a name that has already been registered and hope for the successful completion of the process.
If you insist on registering a specific name that’s already taken, it would be best to consult a corporate law attorney. An experienced lawyer will give you a better idea about your rights and the potential risk of committing a violation.
Choosing a distinctive and readily recognizable name is the best idea for your business, both legally and in marketing terms.
If you’re unable to find a business name that suits you, try using our business name generator to get unique name ideas (click here to find our business name generator).
Registering your business Domain/website
Don’t make the mistake of forgetting to check if the domain name is available for your business. The last thing you want is to register your business name and find out another competitor or company already has a website with your name! Use our domain check below to instantly check availability.
Enter your business name to check domain availability
US Business Name Search
Select a State