Colorado Business Name Search
If you’ve got your heart set on starting a business in Colorado, you should make sure the name of your dreams isn’t already spoken for. To do so, take some time to ensure your business name is unique, distinguishable, and memorable. In the beginning stages of naming your business, we suggest brainstorming multiple ideas so that you have a backup you’re happy with if your name is already registered by someone else. Once you’re ready to dive in, you can search a full list of Colorado entities here.
Generate Business Name Ideas
Search business name availability
Contacting the local Secretary of State (SOS) office via phone or email is free and is the most reliable way to check your business name availability.
Online, you can search for Colorado businesses names for free via the Secretary of State’s Name Availability Search. Just enter the exact name you want to use in Colorado, including any required term or abbreviation, such as “Inc.”, “LLC”, “Ltd”, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
Register your business with the Colorado Secretary of State’s office by filing online.
– The Small Business Navigator should be the first point of contact for new business owners.
– This tutorial will answer questions big and small about starting your business.
– The Colorado Business Resource Book also contains information about forming, licensing, and funding a business.
– You can also reserve your business name for 120-days. Name reservations are also filed through SOSDirect.
To register your business name in Colorado, you need to:
– Determine the legal structure of your business.
– Make sure that the name of your business is available by searching the existing business database.
– Locate and file the necessary documentation.
– Pay the required filing fee using the “Pay Now”.
If a business name is listed as “not available” or “not distinguishable,” that means your ideal business name is already on record with the Secretary of State. To see if a name is spoken for, search our database for a few key words.
We advise leaving out required terms and abbreviations and articles of speech to get the most accurate results. If you find a name similar to your entity’s you may want to seek legal counsel to ensure it will not put you in hot water.
To distinguish your entity name from those already in the system, you can:
– Add an article of speech such as “the” and “a”
– Add abbreviations such as “LLC”, “Corp”, and “Inc” to your entity name
Periods, underscores, and capitalized letters will not, however, make your name distinguishable.
If you’re unable to find a business name that suits you, try using our business name generator to get unique name ideas (click here to find our business name generator).
Registering your business Domain/website
Don’t make the mistake of forgetting to check if the domain name is available for your business. The last thing you want is to register your business name and find out another competitor or company already has a website with your name! Use our domain check below to instantly check availability.
Enter your business name to check domain availability
US Business Name Search
Select a State