Missouri Business Name Search
Before searching the Missouri Business Name Database, you can save time by making sure your business name is unique and distinguishable from other existing business entities within the Missouri business name database. We suggest coming up with a few name ideas, in case some are unavailable. You can also download the full Missouri entity name guidelines here (click here to download)
Generate Business Name Ideas
Search business name availability
Contacting the local Secretary of State (SOS) office via Phone or Email is free and is the most reliable way to check your business name availability.
There’s an online business entity search available via the Missouri Secretary of State Business Services division website. Enter the phrase you’re interested in or a few keywords. The database will give you information about the registered titles that match your search.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can register your business name via the Missouri Secretary of State (SOS) Business Division portal (click here to visit).
– You can find information about the fees and the required filing forms here.
– Just like other states, Missouri has a requirement for the registration of a fictitious business title if you’re not operating the company under your own name.
– If you don’t want to deal with an online registration, it’s also possible to submit the required forms by mail to the Missouri Secretary of State office address (listed above).
To register your business name, you’ll need to go through the following steps:
– Fill out all of the forms and submit them via the Missouri Secretary of State online portal.
– Provide the address of the business and the address of the business owner (these can be changed when you apply for the renewal of your business registration).
– Pay the fees and provide evidence these have been addressed.
– If you are not ready to register your company yet, you can reserve a name of preference for a period of 60 days.
Once you go through with the process, your name registration will remain valid for a period of five years.
As far as fictitious names in Missouri are concerned, there’s no requirement for uniqueness. Numerous entities could be operating under the same fictitious names.
When it comes to business names, however, you need to choose a title that’s distinguishable from all of the other registered business names.
Keep in mind that a Missouri name filing does not prevent a national entity from another state from pursuing legal action against you due to the fact that your title is the same. Hence, you should be very careful about business title selection and you should do sufficient research.
It’s always best to opt for a title that’s distinctive and original. You’ll be free from legal worries and you’ll also benefit from enhanced marketing opportunities this way.
If you’re still unable to find a business name that suits you, try using our business name generator to get unique name ideas (click here to find our business name generator).
Registering your business Domain/website
Don’t make the mistake of forgetting to check if the domain name is available for your business. The last thing you want is to register your business name and find out another competitor or company already has a website with your name! Use our domain check below to instantly check availability.
Enter your business name to check domain availability
US Business Name Search
Select a State