Minnesota Business Name Search
Before searching the Minnesota Business Name Database, you can save time by making sure your business name is unique and distinguishable from other existing business entities within the Minnesota business name database. We suggest coming up with a few name ideas, in case some are unavailable. You can also download the full Minnesota entity name guidelines here (click here to download)
Generate Business Name Ideas
Search business name availability
Contacting the local Secretary of State (SOS) office via Phone or Email is free and is the most reliable way to check your business name availability.
Online, you can search for Minnesota business entities for free via the Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State. Just type the entire name or a word that you’re interested in featuring in your title to see what registrations have been completed already.
The website also makes it possible to order copies or certificates online upon necessity.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can register your business name with the Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State. Go to the online business services portal for more information about doing a web-based registration.
– Before going through with the registration, you will have to complete an online verification process that will ensure your preferred business name isn’t already in use.
– To do the filing online, you will need to create an account and a profile with the Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State website. This step will be beneficial since it will also simplify the process of entity renewal.
– You will have to pay a filing fee (50 dollars for assumed name, 55 dollars for name reservation and 155 dollars for business corporation registration).
To register your business name, you will need to do the following:
– Use the system to verify the business name you’re interested in is available.
– Get the required documents (a state tax ID number, a federal tax ID number, etc.)
– Fill out the required business filing forms.
– When you’re done, you’ll get a confirmation number and an email. Print these out and preserve them because they serve as evidence that you’ve registered a Minnesota business name.
In Minnesota, all kinds of business registrations have to be renewed on an annual basis.
The Minnesota business naming guidelines make it clear that you need a distinctive and distinguishable title for the registration to go through.
As per the instructions, to be accepted, a business name will need to be different by at least one letter or numeral from a business name that’s already registered. Thus, if Elegant Design Inc. is already registered, you can go for a variation like Elegant Designs Inc. or Elegance Design Inc.
Still, having a name that’s so similar to an existent one could contribute to legal and marketing challenges. Do your best to identify a business title that’s unique and representative of your business at the same time.
If you’re unable to pinpoint a business name that suits you, try using our business name generator to get unique name ideas (click here to find our business name generator).
Registering your business Domain/website
Don’t make the mistake of forgetting to check if the domain name is available for your business. The last thing you want is to register your business name and find out another competitor or company already has a website with your name! Use our domain check below to instantly check availability.
Enter your business name to check domain availability
US Business Name Search
Select a State